EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

No Sex Please, we're British!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Ika » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:08 pm

I don't think all the pople in all the world are the same, it is unbelievable, i really believe that there is a difference between for example people from Northern countries and from the South. The temperament is different, after all. And stereotypes, whether we like them or not, are created for some reason, don't you think? another thing is how much we believe them, and how open is our mind to accept the fact, that all the people are unique, whatever the stereotype they are attached to. Besides, if you have to meet somebody from another culture, knowing some stereotypes can help you to make friends, it can save you some shock, if the behaviour is very different from yours :wink: later you will find out yourself, how much do the strerotypes work. Just don't be biased, and all will be ok.
"To know nothing is bad, to learn nothing is worse."
Ika
Silver Member

Postby Arale » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:19 pm

Now most young people have sexual relation before their marriage. And it seems man just want a virgin girl. It is really not fair. Do you think it is an important criterion to find your future spouse?

_Arale_
Last edited by Arale on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing lasts forever...
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Up-to-date generalizations are very useful.

Postby Judy2004 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:07 am

I think most of generalizations about countries and national characteristics except for cliches or stereotypes help international relations.

We may all admit the fact that people who come from different countries think and behavior in a different way. So before we get to know foreigners, the only way we can obtain an idea about them is from generalizations.Obviously, during the communication with foreigners,if you are equipped with the up-to-date generalizations,you can understand your parter more and feel more comfortable,at the same time, make your parter feel at home.In addition, more information from the generalizations can avoid the misunderstanding ,sometimes even culture conflict to the greatest extent.

There is a big difference between the east asian countries and the west countries.It is well known that Chinese are hospitable,if you go to visit a chinese friend,he or she may be busy in and out and prepare a number of best food for you, while having the meal,the owner will put the best dishes in front of you as if he will show impolite if he does not do it. The west, however,are totally different,which I have got from the generalizations. Therefore,one time when I had the chance to have dinner with an English friend,I was familiar with the way that she respected my choice and didn't place any dish specially near to me.If I don't know about the difference,maybe something will occur to my mind that English people aren't polite enough to foreigners.

Of course,we live in the world,where change is constant.Like all the other things,generaliaztions should be up-to-date,otherwise they will be reduced to cliches or stereotypes which become the hindrance of international communication.Furthermore,with the development of science,all the world will become one earth village,all the countries interact more.So it can be predicted that something special in one country will assimilated by other countries and many things will tend to be identical,thus some generalizations about it should be amended to reflect such changes.
Judy2004

Postby Pirate » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:01 pm

But some stereotypes are true! For example English people are supposed to be polite or Italian people are supposed to be romantic. I think it's good for international relation if we know some really special things about people from other countries.
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby maryemily » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:41 am

great topic!!!!!! yeah, people tend to make stereotypes, for example, about Brazilian girls....people say we make sex all the time, I have already heard that in some countries, people think we don't have houses, buildings, or go to school, or can even have culture. That is due to the fact (in part) that our midia exports that image....only Carnaval, and beaches....Here, we think British are cold and are always on time.....and French don't have showers.....of course, generalizations contain faults. Once, a teacher of mine said that, when living in Spain, tried to date a boy, and his mother didn't like her because for her, Brazilian women are all whores!!!!!!!!
maryemily
Silver Member

Postby Pirate » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:03 am

maryemily wrote:great topic!!!!!! yeah, people tend to make stereotypes, for example, about Brazilian girls....people say we make sex all the time,

Aw, I know South American girls are quite hot, but not that stuff! I always see them in stadium watching football excitingly.
It's somehow like the cliche' "all who speak Spanish can dance since s/he can walk!" :wink:
maryemily wrote: Once, a teacher of mine said that, when living in Spain, tried to date a boy, and his mother didn't like her because for her, Brazilian women are all whores!!!!!!!!

Forget it, she might be too old to know what is true ... he he
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Andrefm » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:48 am

:? I agree, because the same happens here in Brazil, people think we just have carnaval and our country is amazonas forest.
I think nobody should include a whole coutry that has many diferent people in only one image. It can't express the truth.
hi. i' Andre. I'm from Brazil. I like music...
Andrefm

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Postby xiaomanman » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:48 pm

TP wrote:No Sex Please, we're British!
For example, many people think that the British don't like sex.

generalization is inaccurate sometimes. If British people don't like sex, why would so many British babies come to the world everyday? Where are these new babies from?

Of course, they are from sex.
xiaomanman

Postby Shazzam » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:17 am

xiaomanman wrote:
TP wrote:No Sex Please, we're British!
For example, many people think that the British don't like sex.

generalization is inaccurate sometimes. If British people don't like sex, why would so many British babies come to the world everyday? Where are these new babies from?

Of course, they are from sex.

Exactly!

The reason it is looked upon that the British don't like sex is because they don't like to talk about sex. It is a taboo. From what I have heard from some people that I know that are British it is seen as being in very bad taste.
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:02 pm

Shazzam wrote: Exactly!

The reason it is looked upon that the British don't like sex is because they don't like to talk about sex. It is a taboo. From what I have heard from some people that I know that are British it is seen as being in very bad taste.

Hmmmm... I believe the stereotype of the Americans don't like sex more than the Brits don't like sex :lol: . Americans are afraid to show X-rated scenes on television, but they somehow have teenagers drop out of high school because partly they're pregnant :roll: . Brits's televison, on the other hand, shows a lot of nudity. Nothing of that censor board over the nudity parts (I hate it when they're doing the stupid censor thing; it ruins my moods. :lol: ) on their shows like American's.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion