EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

No Sex Please, we're British!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

hi

Postby lillychen » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:41 am

Sex, I think every adult like it if he or she have a good health. It is important just like eating and sleeping for a human being.why not a British man?
lillychen
Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:58 am
Location: CHINA

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Postby Shazzam » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:59 am

LennyeTran wrote:
Shazzam wrote: Exactly!

The reason it is looked upon that the British don't like sex is because they don't like to talk about sex. It is a taboo. From what I have heard from some people that I know that are British it is seen as being in very bad taste.

Hmmmm... I believe the stereotype of the Americans don't like sex more than the Brits don't like sex :lol: . Americans are afraid to show X-rated scenes on television, but they somehow have teenagers drop out of high school because partly they're pregnant :roll: . Brits's televison, on the other hand, shows a lot of nudity. Nothing of that censor board over the nudity parts (I hate it when they're doing the stupid censor thing; it ruins my moods. :lol: ) on their shows like American's.


I was referring to general conversation not media. I know that most british people don't like discussing sex. They might watch it but they don't like talking about it. :wink:
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Postby MissLT » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:08 am

Shazzam wrote:
I was referring to general conversation not media. I know that most british people don't like discussing sex. They might watch it but they don't like talking about it. :wink:

Neither do most people in the world. People around the world have jokes about sex, but we don't talk about it as a daily conversation. It even goes far worst in some countries; it's like it's a taboo (you've already said it :wink: ). And teaching kids about sex is still something that not everyone agrees on. In America, the school has to have the permission from the parents to teach those kids about safe sex and stuff. I think it's idiotic not to teach kids about safe sex; however, I personally find those who talk about it as like their everyday conversation are having mental disorder. I don't like people who kiss and tell. What happening in the bed should remain in the bed.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Postby Rui » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:50 pm

LennyeTran wrote:What happening in the bed should remain in the bed.


in bed or somewhere else, because doing it always in bed it's kind boring :lol:, and besides… I guess it’s not a secret to anyone what is supposed to do 8)
User avatar
Rui
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Postby MissLT » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:48 pm

Rui wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:What happening in the bed should remain in the bed.


in bed or somewhere else, because doing it always in bed it's kind boring :lol:, and besides… I guess it’s not a secret to anyone what is supposed to do 8)

Uh huh! Intimacy should be respected. We have jokes about sex genders, but not sex in general. Well, we only do that with family or close friends, you agree with me? Not in a crowded place, open public, to strangers, etc. right?
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby mr_Love » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:14 am

:!:
User avatar
mr_Love
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:43 am

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Postby Rui » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:23 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
Rui wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:What happening in the bed should remain in the bed.


in bed or somewhere else, because doing it always in bed it's kind boring :lol:, and besides… I guess it’s not a secret to anyone what is supposed to do 8)

Uh huh! Intimacy should be respected. We have jokes about sex genders, but not sex in general. Well, we only do that with family or close friends, you agree with me? Not in a crowded place, open public, to strangers, etc. right?


well, i agree with your opinion... however it's difficult sometimes to understand why people are so shy talking about it, as i said... i do the things that everybody does... and i respect if someone has a different opinion, i don't know but i look to sex like any other thing we do in live, if it gives you pleasure you should do it as much as you can but with careful, i guess we need to have this kind of behave with all matters, isn't it?
User avatar
Rui
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Postby tikay » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:54 am

As an Amercian, am I a cowboy? No, I cannot ride a horse. Am I culturally ignorate and insensitive? No - as I have lived overseas for some time and speak 3 languages. But, I do share some traits of stereotype cowboys, that is independence a willingness to venture into the unknow. But other cultures share those same traits also.


I am sort of new so I hope I am doing this right...with the quote from above...
I agree with you we might have some qualities of the stereotypes from our countries of origin,but there is so much more to find out about people, I only wish that the mis-understandings that sometimes come up were easy to solve, between cultures. I was once married to someone from another culture (South pacific islander-Tonga) and we tried to get past all the different ways of thinking and doing things but in the end it was too difficult & too many dissagreements...we had to move on, to be able to be the people we really were.
I believe stereotyping exists (mostly) only when one does not care enough to look deeper...still we are (sometimes deeply)affected by our culture.
I was raised by people considered "hippys", in the so called "counterculture" a whole different take (or story) on culture.
tikay
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Postby tikay » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:26 am

Arale wrote:Now most young people have sexual relation before their marriage. And it seems man just want a virgin girl. It is really not fair. Do you think it is an important criterion to find your future spouse?

_Arale_


You are right! this is so ridiculous, as something of a feminist I have to say how wrong of anyone to expect so much of a girl...or a guy for that matter, and the stereotype is that the woman is purer if she has avoided her sexuality before ...but having been married now she becomes what? a vixen overnight? Then (is she impure the minute she has sex) the things we want from our potential partner in life should be things we will do ourself...just my opinion.
tikay
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Postby Shazzam » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:56 am

tikay wrote:
Arale wrote:Now most young people have sexual relation before their marriage. And it seems man just want a virgin girl. It is really not fair. Do you think it is an important criterion to find your future spouse?

_Arale_


You are right! this is so ridiculous, as something of a feminist I have to say how wrong of anyone to expect so much of a girl...or a guy for that matter, and the stereotype is that the woman is purer if she has avoided her sexuality before ...but having been married now she becomes what? a vixen overnight? Then (is she impure the minute she has sex) the things we want from our potential partner in life should be things we will do ourself...just my opinion.


I don't think it has anything to do with purity. My thoughts are that is more about ego and control. Men don't like to be compared, if a woman has had more than one partner they feel insecure. The control part stems from the fact that most women have a very special place for their first sexual partner. You can draw you on conclusions on that one. :idea:
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests