EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Are exams a waste of time?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Yan999 » Thu May 12, 2005 10:59 am

whats an exam? its different in different condition. i would like to specify what i think from my experience.
when i was in the university, its really a burden for me to take an exam, there are too many exams and it means too much for a student, especially seems some exams made no sense for someone, but we have to join it and get a high score, in this case, i think its kind of waisting time. but for other case, exam will help us to know more knowledge, such as some majority cause, its important, exam helped one to review what s/he studied and what s/he gained from it.
when i am in work like now, exams is not really the same meaning as the exam we took before, we always learned a lot from book and experienced it in our work, so its some kind of exams already and its more practical... we can gain more money from it, its more interresting and have more fun.
as what i said, i think its wonderful studying in work and serving for work. its a great exam not wasting time in the society-more risky, more fun.
Yan999

EXAMS CAN BE A WASTE OF TIME!

Postby Nabulsi » Thu May 12, 2005 6:16 pm

People often say that testing people by way of examination is not the best way to access the candidate's capability.The best candidate is often not the most intelligent candidate.
But what is the next best alternative? In the absence of any, we have to resort to conducting exams.
Aliyu Nabulsi.
Nabulsi

Postby leen@rasel » Mon May 16, 2005 7:20 am

dear friend i partialy disagree with you because if there were no exams we could't be able to see how much good we are in a certain subject , therefore , how much effort do we need to improve our selves, yet sometimes they are waste of time if some teachers but not all of them are fair in their correcting :cry:
leen@rasel
Gold Member

Postby authorityquery » Mon May 16, 2005 4:32 pm

I don't agree with you totally. Because if you don't have any exam, how you can check knowledge and you don't have anything to base on to estimate personal abilities??
And for student , exam's coming means it'll encourage students study hard to get a good mark, so that's a good chance for everybody have to review everything they learn, human instinct 's lazy.
However, in the other hands, government should reduce some exams are uneccessary, and don't make students become stress by pressure.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted
authorityquery
Gold Member

Postby Etore » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:53 pm

Exams are very important to check the level of the students and provide information to teachers if their method is accurated.
Etore
Etore
Silver Member

Postby GiddyGad » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:50 pm

Etore wrote:Exams are very important to check the level of the students and provide information to teachers if their method is accurated.

Are you talking about tests, control, or exams.
Tests are inevitable - one needs a stimulus to move on.
Control can be indirect and, actually, a good teacher controls students indirectly so they didn't even suspect they are being controlled.
Exams are for those who decides whether you are appropriate or not - it's the easiest way to wash brains and in this way exams are harmful. Taking into account that they don't prove anything. If a student wants to further his education , say, in America (s)he will have not only to get a TOEFL or Cambridge certificate, (s)he'll have to show an appropriate language command no exams but an interview can show.
Exams only show who will feed on who, who is better and who is worse - it's a system of segregation imposed by societies of "equal possibilities". We are different and you can't equalize what is different by nature.

Exams are EVIL.

Smiles,
GiddyGad
GiddyGad
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:26 am

GiddyGad wrote: Exams only show who will feed on who, who is better and who is worse - it's a system of segregation imposed by societies of "equal possibilities". We are different and you can't equalize what is different by nature.

Exams are EVIL.

Smiles,
GiddyGad

No way! Without examinations people go to classes just for getting new information, which they will probably forget it the next day or soon. However, if there are examinations, people have to review their lectures over and over and try to understand them real well, so they will ace their tests. Although tests do show who is better than whom, but this is life-- each individual has his or her own ability to ace the tests. Only idiots or 99% of the case of people who don't review or study for their lectures will get F's.
And what's up with equal possibilities? Are we supposed to?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

I don't agree with that.

Postby reddylee » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:10 am

I don't agree with that.
reddylee

Re: Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Postby bolina1984 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:32 am

TP wrote:Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Sometimes.
The only function of exams is to check how well you learned. But you cannot put the theory into practices by taking exams. That's a waste of time.
Aother point is that exams spur you to pay more attention to your studies. To some extent, that's a good thing.
Always remember the saying that "every coin has two sides".
I am No.1
bolina1984

Postby Shazzam » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:50 am

For some students exams work like goal setting. They need to have the exams to establish that the work they are doing is on target; or requires more attention.

There are definate benefits from exams for students and teachers. It gives teachers the opportunity to see where students may need more assistance etc....
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion