EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Are exams a waste of time?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby KcMurray » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:07 pm

well...exams are definitely not a waste of time becoz the result tells us how much effort we hav put in for the year.....and its important for students to realise that whether they hav paid attentions in class or just wondered around for the whole year...
KcMurray

Postby mirage » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:59 pm

I am new in this website, hello everybody :)

I will be an english techer next year, I am a universitiy student in one of the countries.

I don t think exams are waste of time.you are tested whether you are good at the subject or not by means of exams.
If teachers aware you are not good at,they teach the subject again in different ways by applying different methods :!:

In addition,if there is no obligation in this teaching environment,anybody won t have a willing to study.

so I advise you to study a lot to be an apprecient person in society :wink:
mirage

Postby fahrenheit » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:00 pm

In my opinion exem isn't devil of darkness. If you are bright-thinking, smart, resposable - you will pass your exem even more it would be peasure for doing it. Personaly i have many gaps in my learning, but i try to fill it with well quality knowlegde...
fahrenheit

Postby kathymimi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:26 am

exams are not waste of time to some point. at least you can really keep something in your mind if you want to pass the exams, or you may never spend your time in trying remember what you have learned in classes.
kathymimi

Postby Laxuan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:20 am

I think exam is very neccessary
without them you wont know which level you're at and which skills you are bad at, it also help other people to assess you when you apply for jobs.
In the other hand, some people try to use nasty equipment to help them to get good marks in an examination so it isn't really fair for the rest of student.Furthermore, some examiner who recieved money or any other things of the candidate will ignore what they will be doing during the exam.
so an exam always has pros and cons
Laxuan
Silver Member

Postby samanehkarga » Sat May 06, 2006 1:11 pm

I think if students are not frightened of the exams it can be a good way to know them-selves much better but if they are stressful because of having an exam it won't be sth useful because they study just to pass the exam not to learn what they study so it depends on the situation to decide if the exams are waist of the time or not
samanehkarga

Re: Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Postby sharklish » Tue May 09, 2006 2:25 pm

hugoromo wrote:Well, as an educator I say no, perhaps students see this in a different spectrum.

In my teaching performance I´ve tried to show my students ,in practice , that exams can be fun.
All of these thru at a small pace, giving them the tools to put their own ideas in practice.

I challenge them into new situations, for example the world, techonology and personal topics.
One of the things that they are very clear by know is that one thing is to speak a second language and another it is to sound intelligent in a second one, in this case English.

I do believe, that exams are part of the overall performance that we persue, and as an instructor, I have the interesting and no less challenging responsibility to show them that exams are in a way one of the tools that I have to measure their own ideas.

PD: Our higher mark in Chile is a 7.0. Anyone who has been taught by me has this mark at the beginning of a test. Thru the process of correction some mistakes appear and at the end you keep the highest mark or not.
But the most important thing for my students is to express their ideas in a clear and simple way.

i agree with you .
HugoR
Chile
sharklish

Postby hanamichi » Tue May 16, 2006 2:45 pm

I think exams are good for us.They test our knowledge.However, in my country, there are too many tests and exams in a year and it makes me tired. I think we only need two tests and one exam for each subject in a term.
hanamichi

Postby engineer » Sun May 21, 2006 1:05 pm

Hi,

exams are very important to start new step (stage), :wink:

thanks
engineer

Postby samento » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:03 am

Waste of time! No no, I don't think so.
You spend not more than 1-2 hours to take an exam.
So It's don't waste your time.
And if you argue that you must spend more time to prepare yourself before an exam, I would say that you spend times for yourself, not for an exam.
In addition, if you don't have to take an exam, I believe that no body will prepare yourself.
samento

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion