Are exams a waste of time?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by denvinbo »

Koala wrote:I don't think so. An exam help us check how much we've learned, how much knowledge we've got and how much we haven't. In other hand, if hadn't exams, would we spend time to review our lessons? especially lessons in subjects we don't like. In fact, all subjects are useful this way or that way but we only focus on what we like.
It's my opinion, too.....And 1 advice, you can focus on your favorite, but never forget the other subjects, you have to average them.... :-)
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re:

Post by Krisi »

Krisi wrote:Definitely not!
Exams are for teachers, students and the parents of course.
An exam is one way of testing students' achievements.
Exams are for the students to assess themselves if they have done well or not.
An exam is a teachers' tool to know the level, and performance of each student. Also for the teachers to know if their (teachers') approach is effective to each of the student.
An exam is a device to inculcate to the students' mind what they have learned.
Exams are used for the parents to know if their children are attending their classes or not. And also an alarm for the parents if their children are learning or not.
I am focusing in schools only, how much more in other fields.
Exams are beneficial to all. How could it be a waste of time?
It is not a waste of time.
abnamso

Post by abnamso »

ell, people who think exams are not necessary are not any smarter or more stupid than people who think exams are necessary when they're given to take one.
subbrine

Post by subbrine »

I don't think I should reply this at my exam week (is that even a term in english?)
alrabiay

Post by alrabiay »

I think the problem is not with exams. In fact, the problem is with the professors or teachers who prepare the exams. There are some of those professors or teachers who make difficult questions that do not reflect what he or she presented in class. Some of those instructors, their main objective from an exam is to challenge students and prove that he is a good or smart one in preparing exam questions. The main objective of exams should be to motivate students to read and should be according to the effort that the instructor put in teaching and explaining. However, what I have seen during my study at the university is that good instructors give reasonable questions when testing their students and those who are not good try their best to prepare hard questions.
fleance

Post by fleance »

Exams are definitely not a waste of time. It is test whether you understand well all the lessons what your professor taught.
lesmedia

Post by lesmedia »

A massive number of exams in a short period of time doesn't allow the student to study any particular subject appropriately or in enough depth. I think continuous assessment is better than having final exams.
Bloodred

Post by Bloodred »

Hi everyone!

I think exams of all kinds are rather useful than a waste of time.
First of all, it's a good way of controlling academic progress of the students, what they achieved, what they can and what they cannot. Anyway, in this respect it makes much more sense when an exam is not just a bunch of tests, but something like a project which does not only represents a student's knowledge, but also his individual attitude. (But standard exams are fine as well if correctly applied :) ).

Besides, exams help teachers and professors recognize weaknesses of their courses and hence improve them.

Finally, exams keep students motivated, because the most of people, especially young ones, prefer doing nothing when having no obligations xD
nishida

Post by nishida »

In my opinion, I disagree that taking exams is a waste of time because taking exams helps us understand more about a specific subject and also make us realize wich part of the study we have to pay more attention.
nishida

Post by nishida »

I cannot agree with that, because exams is needed to evaluate one's skill or ability.
Sposing

Post by Sposing »

You can't call it a waste of time since it is way for you to finish your study. You can say it a waste of time if you didn't finish your degree.
XUZIHAO

Post by XUZIHAO »

I think exams are good for us.In China,exams are really common.It is useful to check the results of students.
XUZIHAO

Re:

Post by XUZIHAO »

Guest wrote::( Are exams the only way to check our skills or motive for study?Can educators invent a better method to achieve that?
I am afraid that it may be the only way to check our skills...... ;-)
Blooms

Post by Blooms »

Some test scores, for example - the TOEIC, are recognised by companies, agencies and universities across the globe - so can be really valuable. You can do exam preperation courses to improve your english and exam skills at the same time {-:

Code: Select all

http://www.bloomsbury-international.com/en/
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

I consider it a waste of time. Every student knows his abilities and knowledge. This is what the teacher needs to check what he has taught.