EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Who is responsible for motivating students?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby coolguy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:09 pm

As a human beings, every student has the desire to learn something .However, sometimes unproper teaching methods kill this desire.Teachers are responsible for movitating students' intrests. It makes a successful teacher.
coolguy

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:48 am

As a teacher, he/she should motivate his/her students to study well. It doesn't have to be English. Learning is gaining one's knowledge, so it's good to learn. He/she should help the students to understand that point; however, I don't think the teachers are responsible for their students's failure if they've already tried their best to help the students. Some students are not willing to learn. It's their business to choose that way. We can't blame everything on the teachers

Postby Arale » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:49 pm

Is the teacher responsible for motivating students to study? Or is it each student's own responsibility to be interested in learning?

I think teacher should be responsible for motivating students to study.Students themselves decide their own result,however.No one could help them except themselves.Students are the center of teaching activity,in which the teacher is just a guider.In my country,there are so many students in a class so the teacher could not control all students in the class.A good teacher will help students find the best way of learning.

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Pirate » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 pm

The teacher. But if the teacher doesn't care, the student suffers!
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Rodrigo Klassen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:30 am

i think it depends on the teachers and the students in different forms. teachers just can't make their classes boring, without a real meaning or intention but students must be ready to learn always...
there's no space here to write everything i wanted
Rodrigo Klassen

Postby GiddyGad » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:48 pm

There's a joke about a student who comes up to a teacher and says: 'I'm not gonna do anything... nor am I gonna come to classes but I pay the money for being taught so in the end I must know everything.' ... :?

The ability to motivate students reflects the level of a teacher's professionalism, it goes without saying. But in the long run it's students who are to acquire the knowledge of the subject being taught.

Responsibility is too a general word.
Resposibility in what? That's what makes all the difference.
GiddyGad
Gold Member

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:27 pm

GiddyGad wrote:There's a joke about a student who comes up to a teacher and says: 'I'm not gonna do anything... nor am I gonna come to classes but I pay the money for being taught so in the end I must know everything.' ... :?

It's similiar to "I paid for the course so you must let me pass." :roll:

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:28 pm

GiddyGad wrote: The ability to motivate students reflects the level of a teacher's professionalism, it goes without saying. But in the long run it's students who are to acquire the knowledge of the subject being taught.

Responsibility is too a general word.
Resposibility in what? That's what makes all the difference.

So wise and so true. 8) <---- this is for you.

Postby authorityquery » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:39 pm

I think each student should be responsible for studying, We know we learn for ourslves, so why another person have to be responsible for our study. It's a bad way.
But The teacher is the person who has to show the student how to study or research, teacher's task just makes student feel interested in the subject.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted
authorityquery
Gold Member

Motivating students:

Postby Shazzam » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:53 am

I think this is very much age determined! Younger students would need more motivation from teachers and parents (or support networks). As they progress the study principles should be starting to gel. I must admit I had a giggle at
I paid for the course so you should help me pass it.

Older students would definately feel that way. ;)

The motivation usually comes from interest in the undertaken topic in teenagers.
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion