EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Who is responsible for motivating students?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Re: Motivating students:

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:10 pm

shazzam1452 wrote:I think this is very much age determined! Younger students would need more motivation from teachers and parents (or support networks). As they progress the study principles should be starting to gel. I must admit I had a giggle at
I paid for the course so you should help me pass it.

Older students would definately feel that way. ;)

The motivation usually comes from interest in the undertaken topic in teenagers.

Oh not only old students. Younger students have that feeling, too. They think all they have to do is pay the course and they'll pass it. Some people still think knowledge can be bought. What a joke! :roll:

Re: Motivating students:

Postby Shazzam » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:07 am

Oh not only old students. Younger students have that feeling, too. They think all they have to do is pay the course and they'll pass it. Some people still think knowledge can be bought. What a joke! :roll:[/quote]

I meant younger students as in (5-10 years). They don't pay for courses.
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Anin

Postby Anin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:06 pm

In my view,
both teachers and students are responsible for the motivation. :!:
One-side motivation cannot work.
Students should see how many things the particular subject enables them to do, what are the benefits of studying it.
Teachers should encourage them, especially the best students. Maybe it sounds strange but I know what I am talking about. I am the one of the best students in our class. But I hate English lessons in our school. Our teacher is paying her attention almost always to the worst students, while my level of English is getting worse because I suffer from the lack of training in. It s really horrible, therefore I suggest to divide the students into groups according to the level of their knowledge. Only this way their motivation can increase.
Hi I am 18 and I would like to change my opinions with you.
Anin

Re: Anin

Postby Shazzam » Mon May 30, 2005 4:35 am

Anin wrote:In my view,
both teachers and students are responsible for the motivation. :!:
One-side motivation cannot work.
But I hate English lessons in our school. Our teacher is paying her attention almost always to the worst students, while my level of English is getting worse because I suffer from the lack of training in. .

Don't give up if you aren't getting exactly what you need in class. Be MOTIVATED!! Try and find another source to enable you to obtain the level of learning that you are seeking. Extra courses etc!! 8)
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Re: Anin

Postby GiddyGad » Tue May 31, 2005 5:30 pm

Anin wrote:...Our teacher is paying her attention almost always to the worst students...

You have all my sympathy... but your teacher is 100% right here. Those who need help should get it. You are good at English, so you can help yourself.

We aren't born equal and we mustn't have equal possibilities. That's where justice contradicts equality. American principles just don't work. Moreover, they rot the world community...

Smiles,
GiddyGad
GiddyGad
Gold Member

Postby slashworld » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:00 am

Arale wrote:
Is the teacher responsible for motivating students to study? Or is it each student's own responsibility to be interested in learning?

I think teacher should be responsible for motivating students to study.Students themselves decide their own result,however.No one could help them except themselves.Students are the center of teaching activity,in which the teacher is just a guider.In my country,there are so many students in a class so the teacher could not control all students in the class.A good teacher will help students find the best way of learning.

_Arale_

We have to admit that after all many students pay more attention to other things except learning, though their teachers have tried them best to motivate these students.that is human nature, some people will sucess by himself hard working. and some people will pay the cost for his waste of study times.So teacher being responsible for the motivation just is not enough, student's self-discipline and study interesting are more important than other factors.
slashworld

Postby iris198783 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:10 am

It seems that many people think that teacher should be the one who is responsible for motivating the students. From my point of view, i think students should motivate themselves. It is no use even if they do not have the motivation to work hard. It is true that for some young students, they can rarely motivate themselves, in this case, i think parents should try to motivate their children to work hard by giving some gifts if their children get good results.
iris198783

Postby leen@rasel » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:27 pm

i believe that if the child was not motivated from the begining it will be a little bit hard to motivate him or her when he or she is older teachers are not resposible alone for motivating students parents share them this responsibility and i believe that not only students of low marks should be motivated but also those of good ones ,we should motivate them continueosly because they may loose this motivation one day especially if they were counting on teachers only or on parents only we should encourage them to get not only the higher marks but also the more iformation and knoledge
leen@rasel
Gold Member

Postby Shazzam » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:32 pm

iris198783 wrote:It seems that many people think that teacher should be the one who is responsible for motivating the students. From my point of view, i think students should motivate themselves. It is no use even if they do not have the motivation to work hard. It is true that for some young students, they can rarely motivate themselves, in this case, i think parents should try to motivate their children to work hard by giving some gifts if their children get good results.

Maybe the word that should be used here is INSPIRE; i think inspiration is something that is needed in learning. Just an :idea:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby GiddyGad » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:50 pm

Being able to inspire is an add-on, good for any professional, any wise person, unless the one who is inspired awaits (and relies on) being inspired. We all depend on circumstances (even our biology depends on parents... or the Lord's will). But even God expects us to display our own will, our own move, our own deed.

Smiles,
GiddyGad
GiddyGad
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion