EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Who is responsible for motivating students?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Etore » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:17 pm

In my opinion, students have to be identified with teacher cause this situation facilitates the aprentice. It´s imperative that the students have interested to learn.
Etore
Etore
Silver Member

Postby shokin » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:05 pm

We all have to be responsible, solidair, collectively and socially and environmentally conscious, respectuous and honest.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby meylenlau » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:59 pm

At the tender age teachers tought us,
Alphabets,numerals, morals and others,
Teachers praised, rewarded us with little gifts or stars,
We felt happy and tended to learn more and fast,
Were they not called motivation?

lots of aspects must be considered during their lessons,
Various approaches and theories have to apply but not mention,
To attract pupils and and get their potency evolves without tension,
Different pupils with different characters and intelligence,
Do you think possible not to include motivation?

Motivation sometimes applies abstractly in teaching and learning,teacher initiates a challenge to create an atmosphere of competition amongst pupils is a motivation! Scrutinising the profession and understand more ,then one will realise the process of teaching and learning must be parallel with motivation.If you are a teacher you would agree with me.
meylenlau

Re: motivating students

Postby desertman » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:12 pm

tina wrote:motivating is a two- way issue
firstly the teacher has to be a motivating factor in her classroom ;she has to master her subject matter ,and know how to impact this across to students in a manner that would get interested in learning the language

well,that sounds right.
desertman

Postby samanehkarga » Tue May 23, 2006 10:52 am

in my opinion teachers are responsible to motivate students if they are bad-tempered or they don't know the topic well students won't like the lessons so most important point is the teachers manner and the class situation
samanehkarga

Postby Archer » Sun May 28, 2006 5:10 am

Not living in poverty, or a life of meanial labor type jobs.. it is up to the student to be motivated to learn, after all it is their life that will be effected by what they do and do not know, their life will be effected by what they can and can not do, all things must be learned, you can never know to much, but, it is rather easy to not know enough.

It is the teachers job to teach, the best teacher in the world can not teach someone who is unwilling to learn.. a good teacher will never allow any student to not understand the lesson being taught no matter what it takes to help that student to learn what it is they do not understand.

There is a old saying that still holds true.. never try to teach a pig to dance.. it annoys the pig, and wastes the teachers time.
Archer

Postby Dixie » Sun May 28, 2006 9:14 am

Archer wrote:There is a old saying that still holds true.. never try to teach a pig to dance.. it annoys the pig, and wastes the teachers time.

:lol: Brilliant!
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Thoughts » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:08 am

It is true to say that there are some important environments which have great deals in motivating students.Firstly, parent's care plays a good role to direct their student's mind & attitude to achieve any sought aim.Secondly, the school & its staff, especially the teacher himself.The successful teacher has great influence to prompt his student.What is essential here & which can be considered as the most important condition, is student's ambition & his desire to improve himself & get high level.Any student who is interested in this of coures will be abl to motivate & encourage himself by himsl far from any social,living &other environments in his life.
Thoughts

Postby Seafarer » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:38 am

It is impossible to tell that only the teacher is responsible of motivating the students. I got lots of friends who weren't able to motivate themselves even if our poor teacher spent all her time to motivate them. The student should be willing to being motivated.
Seafarer
Gold Member

Postby jeffcox » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:24 pm

A good teacher will do all they reasonably can to motivate students. But that's not always possible.

As Seafarer said, some students just don't work well in some groups. Some 'collections of students' never become 'a group' in the 'united' sense of the word.

And then again, I'm a teacher and NOT a babysitter. Many students make the mistake of thinking this. Sometimes I ask my students to bring things in to make the class more dynamic, and they don't even bother. I could bring in all the things myself, as the teacher, but I think that they need to take some responsibility for their group and for their own learning experience.
jeffcox
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion