Studying punctuation is a waste of time*[]?...(!)-;/:!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

samento

Post by samento »

I think that it doen't waste your time. Although I don't good at english, not influence, but if you really want to understand it, you need to learn all about this language. Do you agree with me?
PS.....Taylor ! Pardon me that I copy your writing stlye. :P I like colors and I want to use them on my passage.
Finally, I convince everyone that PUNCTUATIONs are also as much importatn as gramma, vocabularies, and so on. Don't waste your time to do other things. Spend it on punctuation. Thanks. :D :D
jakeson

Post by jakeson »

Punctuations play important roles to convey what one really wanted to say. They also help the reader understand what the writer's telling. Can you imaging groups and groups of words without periods, commas and other punctions?

In my job where I edit transcripts of depositions and other legal proceedings from US of A, the mastery of punctionations is very crucial to have a good transcript. Even to the simpliest thing such as when to hyphenate a two word to make it an adjective is important. Dashes, semicolons, commas, quotation marks, all punctuations are very helpful. They can create drama, actions, adventure, and most of all, they give beauty to your write ups. Ooppps! write up is not hypenated. :-)
Thoughts

Post by Thoughts »

Certainly no.Pronunciation can be regarded as the backbone of English language & the most essential factor in the process of teaching & learning English language.How can a person make easily undeerstood communication with absence of clear & right pronunciation. The state of beibg clear enables both speaker & listener to understand each other.It makes speaker's attitude recognizable for listener,(whether he is friendly, angry, polite,etc...)Therefore when a speaker is interested in a good pronunciaation, he'll be understood by others, & at the same time a listener will clearly get what the former has produced.
Another aspect is that English language has many words that have the same spelling, but they are different in their pronunciation. In this case how can we distinguish the grammatical function of these words without using stress, which is one of the basic branches of pronunciation.The rest branches of pronunciation such as assimilaation, linking, etc...are also important subjects, that make speaker's speech naturally connected.Finally the necessary fact should be mentioned here, that pronuciation is very important for beginners learners to learn more about speech organs, classification of English sounds & their description.
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

Think about this simple word in English. It's so common and everybody knows it.

Hi

You can say it...

Hi.
Hi!
Hi?

They are not the same.

Punctuation is important.

Anyway, do you prefer punctuation or phrasal verbs!!
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re:

Post by sweethuman »

Look at this sentence:

Woman without her man means nothing at all.

Girls, do you agree? Most likely not.

Now let's punctuate the sentence and read it again:

Woman: without her, man means nothing at all.

Did you notice the influence of punctuation on the meaning?[/quote]

I liked your explanation, Specially this example, really made me laugh alot, The example may be reallity or not, :-P but I understood the importance of punctuation. :lol: :lol: