EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Can hostage-taking ever be considered justifiable?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby MissLT » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:14 am

danyet wrote:Very simple. Lets say you live in a lawless land and two brothers had come to your house one night and stolen your little sister while she slept. Your tracked them down and managed to capture one brother.

Are you saying that you would not hold that brother hostage and use him as a bargaining chip in exchange for your sister?

Strangers, sweetie, strangers. Don't use ebonic language on me :lol: .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Danyet » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:56 am

LennyeTran wrote: Don't use ebonic language on me :lol: .

Don't jump to conclusions. Just answer the question
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:32 am

danyet wrote:Very simple. Lets say you live in a lawless land and two brothers had come to your house one night and stolen your little sister while she slept. Your tracked them down and managed to capture one brother.

Are you saying that you would not hold that brother hostage and use him as a bargaining chip in exchange for your sister?

Ok, I'll forget your "two brothers" and answer your question like you asked me to. Well, firstly, it depends on whether you would punish your hostage or not. If you were beating that person up and down and screaming, "where's my sister? Where is she? You'd better tell me or I'll chop your weenie off." And then you'd get your knife near his little soldier :lol: . If that was the case, then it would not be justifiable. It's because you'd do the same thing like other torturers doing to their hostages. If you were not doing all that, well, this is hard to say since I don't see the picture of you wouldn't torture someone you called as a hostage. Right?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Danyet » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:24 am

I hope you are joking, I don't know what kind of English you speak but anywhere I have lived two brothers means simply that. So in the scenerio your sister has been stolen. And you have captured one of two brothers. Most people would go to great lengths to rescue a family member but the original question mentions nothing about torture. The reason I used two family members as hostage takers in the scenerio was to try to avoid the torture question if possible, because an even exchange of hostages is more likely with the presence of blood ties, without the need for brutality. So, somehow, from your answer I get the feeling that we agree. There is justifiable hostage taking. It must be scary for you. This revelation I mean.

So, how about torture? Would you refuse to beat your hostage even though you know that if you did you would be saving the life of your sister? I mean time is running out, since she is buried in a box with very little air left. Oh, what to do. ....Let sister die or beat the information out of bad guy..Hmmm!
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:27 pm

danyet wrote: The reason I used two family members as hostage takers in the scenerio was to try to avoid the torture question if possible, because an even exchange of hostages is more likely with the presence of blood ties, without the need for brutality.

So you're telling me a member of a family is kidnapping another member of the family? What kinda ~ is this? :roll: :roll: :roll:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Danyet » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:29 pm

LennyeTran wrote:So you're telling me a member of a family is kidnapping another member of the family? What kinda ~ is this? :roll: :roll: :roll:

No. The two bad guys are related. It will be assumed that if one of the bad guys is captured the other will be open to negotiations to get him (his brother) back.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:30 pm

danyet wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:So you're telling me a member of a family is kidnapping another member of the family? What kinda ~ is this? :roll: :roll: :roll:

No. The two bad guys are related. It will be assumed that if one of the bad guys is captured the other will be open to negotiations to get him (his brother) back.

So two strangers who are brothers, not your brothers, kidnapped your sister?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Danyet » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:26 pm

Yes. Just two sociopathic brothers. I meant no reference to race. I don't even know how to talk like that.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:52 pm

Ok, this is my thoughts for this scenario. Firstly, well, I'm gonna put aside the fact that it makes no sense.
Secondly, would it be justifiable that those two brothers kidnapped your sister for whatever reason? What did she ever do to them? Was she a bad person? Even if she was, it wouldn't be their job to take the laws into their own hands.
Thirdly, you think it'd be justifiable to hold one of the brother as a hostage in exchange for your sister and torture them? I remember you said,
danyet wrote: So, how about torture? Would you refuse to beat your hostage even though you know that if you did you would be saving the life of your sister? I mean time is running out, since she is buried in a box with very little air left.
Don't you think you're doing the same thing like they're doing to your sister. In another words, it's not justifiable. Just because you have an excuse, it's okay to do so? Well, they have an excuse to kidnap your sister, too. It's just a different one from yours.
Fourthly, if you wouldn't torture that guy for kidnap your sister, was there a chance you would hold your anger for what he did to you? That's why people kidnap others as their hostages for. To torture, to release their anger, to get information and so on. And thus, it's the reason why hostage-taking is never justifiable and you also said,
danyet wrote: but the original question mentions nothing about torture.
don't you think it's already implied? You think people would not torture their hostages to get whatever they need from that person? Yeah, big fat chance :roll: .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Danyet » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:27 pm

You are still adding your own interpretation to the original Question. The question askes if hostage taking can
ever be justified. You are now pondering what the sister did to deserve kidnapping. This is a moot point. You are also stating things like we should not take the law into our own hands. This is also a moot point since I have already set the scenerio in a lawless land.

When it is totally up to you to save your sisters life you will do whatever it takes to get her back or you will allow her to die. It is that simple. So far from your posts I think that I am glad not to be your sister.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion