EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Does it really matter how we treat babies?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby MissLT » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:39 am

shokin wrote:Yes, every moment of our life can have an influence on our life.

Are you sure that none can remember hisher 1-2 first years ?

Shokin

:roll: Tell us your first two years of your childhood then.....
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Shazzam » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:58 am

My goodness what a terrible heading "Does it matter how we treat babies". I'm not going to take this the wrong way; but it would be easy to.

Even lions look after their young! Of course it matters. The first few years of a childs life creates trust. If you treat a child badly in the first few years of their life; they won't trust you. If you treat a child with love and kisses, cuddles etc, they will respond that way with you long after infancy. Trust me I know. I have seen both sides of the scale.

There are also studies that have proven that children that are read bed-time stories prior to school entry do better at reading and writing. There is something to be said about a young mind. They are sponges; absorbing everything around them and storing it away.
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby shokin » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:09 am

LennyeTran wrote:

Shokin

I don-t remember.

Can you give us a demonstration that no human being can remember its 1-2 first years.

What is the goal of the question ? :mrgreen:

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:34 pm

shokin wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:

Shokin

I don-t remember.
Can you give us a demonstration that no human being can remember its 1-2 first years.
What is the goal of the question ? :mrgreen:

Shokin

I dare to say 99% of the children do not remember their first two years of life. And if yes, we only remember the most significant ones; therefore, treating babies badly will create a bad memory for them. And also making them lose their trust to other human beings. On the other hand, the bottom line of this topic is not whether babies remember their memories of their first two years, it's about parents' responsibilities. Just think and assume for once, if you could not love your baby enough to treat him/her nicely, would you love him/her when your child grow up to understand your reactions towards him/her?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:58 pm

http://www.talkingpage.org/artic012.html#MEM
According to this website, "Although memory improves throughout childhood, important developmental changes take place during the preschool years. Just as with perspective taking, a major advance in memory abilities seems to begin at about 4 or 5 years when children start to recall items of some complexity and when they begin to monitor and manipulate them own memories." This is for my assumption that majority of children do not remember their first two years.
On the other hand, there is a small minority of children do remember their first two years; however, only the the significant ones. My cousin is an example. She once said she still remembered the time when my aunt's daughter kicked her face. My aunt was so surprised because my cousin was only two at time, and she never talked about it until the day my cousin mentioned it. The story is about whe they were taking a shower together, and my cousin wanted to touch her stomach to see how the baby was doing inside. She got a kick in the face instead :lol: . She said she hated babies from that day on until the day my other cousin was born. She told us she loved babies again because the other cousin was so cute. This is all she could remember what happened when she was two.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby shokin » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:37 pm

Is it really a necessity to know our 1-2 first years ?

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:42 pm

shokin wrote:Is it really a necessity to know our 1-2 first years ?

Shokin

Is it a necessity to ask un-necessity questions?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

How should we treat babies?

Postby JeanneM » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:29 am

Babies may not have memory of the first two years of their lives in the way that we usually define memory, but they develop emotions and attitudes that remain with them for the rest of their lives - a sense of love, safety, belonging, and worthiness, or they develop the opposite. Babies see themselves mirrored in the faces, voices, and body language of the people around them - main caregivers, in particular.
JeanneM

Postby shokin » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:21 am

And for our collectivity, for the nature ? and not for our personal comfort !

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Re: How should we treat babies?

Postby MissLT » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:32 am

JeanneM wrote:Babies may not have memory of the first two years of their lives in the way that we usually define memory, but they develop emotions and attitudes that remain with them for the rest of their lives - a sense of love, safety, belonging, and worthiness, or they develop the opposite. Babies see themselves mirrored in the faces, voices, and body language of the people around them - main caregivers, in particular.

Exactly.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion