EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Are left-handed people disadvantaged?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Left handed

Postby azwar » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:57 am

I am the left handed person .. in my country especially Moslem, left handed is unusual matter and not polite .. so I ve to try to use right hand, especially to eat. but I stay left handed for sport and work (except writing). I have to try to change the mind set about left handed. I have to reverse the opinion that says left handed is not polite or disadvantaged. Even left handed give me an advantaged. For example, my sport hobby is foot ball, and my position as : righ wing/stricker. In the game, the player of other team always wrong to anticipate me, becouse they miss to make antisipation which leg I 'll use to shoot.
Last edited by azwar on Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
azwar

Postby iwantmore » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:19 pm

I have no hands but I go cycling every week...... What's disavantaged????? I can't see anything.
iwantmore

Postby ngphuongtu » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:24 pm

Here's an article about being left-handed:

Imagine having difficulty every time you wanted to use a pair of scissors or cut a piece of bread. Such are the everyday problems facing left-handed people in Britain. Living in a right-handed world, it seems, is not easy.
It is estimated that between ten and fifteen per cent of the British population is left-handed, yet there are few items made especially for them. In an attempt to improve the situation, left-handed organizations have been surveying this considerable minority and have produced many things to make a left-hander's life little bit easier. The Left-Handers Club asked its members what products they would most like to see made especially for them and some of those requested the most have been produced by ther Anything Left-Handed shop in London.
Fountain pens, for example, can be a problem for left-handers, because the writing is often smodged when the hand travels across the page and the ink sometimes does not flow correctly, due to the angle the pen is held at. Special fountain pens for left-handers have quicker drying ink to lessen the smudging, and the ink flows better no matter what angle the pen is held at.
Left-handers in Britain have had to put up with being referred to as clumsy and awkward and sometimes they have even been thought of as stupid. Famous left-handers include Albert Einstein, and many famous sports and film stars. It is doubtful whether anyone would call them clumsy, awkward or stupid.
ngphuongtu

Postby MissLT » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:25 am

Interesting. Where did you get the article?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Oriani » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:56 pm

I just wonder why there are more right-handed people rather that left ones!!!!
Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Postby Yen » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:04 pm

I can use the right hand and the left hand to write, but I keep the chopsticks by the left hand .. I think the left hand is disadvange because the table or the scissor always for the right hand. i saw a lot of American people use their left hand but Asian always train by teacher or their family to use their right hand
Yen
Silver Member

Postby cuongviet » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:44 pm

Till now, I don't know whether I am left- handed or right-handed. because some things are easier for me to be use with my left-handed and some things are not.
But I think that the left-handed have advantages in life, not disadvantages.
Cause It is said that the right brain of the left-handed is bigger than the left one. So they seem to have a good taste in art.
Besides if we use our left hand fluently, our teachers, our parents, jobs force us to use right hand. This can create chalenges for us to improve ourselves amd learn new experiences.so we not only use left hand but also right hand easily. [size=50]
cuongviet

Postby feanor » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:59 pm

one of the disadvantages for left handed people is in army. usually they cant aim well with a rifle so they r so poor at shooting.
feanor
Gold Member

Postby iwantmore » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:08 am

feanor wrote:one of the disadvantages for left handed people is in army. usually they cant aim well with a rifle so they r so poor at shooting.

:lol: :lol: , how about playing football??. People often says " You don't have this but you might have that " Maybe left handed people can't shoot well but they might play foot ball well :wink:
iwantmore

Postby Hardi » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:58 pm

There is a article that saying, It's advantage about gaming, talking while driving in heavy traffic and piloting a jet fighter......

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stor ... htm?health
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion