Identity cards are a waste of time and money.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

purplesnails

Post by purplesnails »

I wouldn't mind them if they weren't so expensive, right now I have no proof of my age, i've just turned 18 but can't do anymore than i could when i was 17 because i don't have a provisional or passport, and for a student with 5 other brothers and sisters and a recently redundant father the cost to buy a passport or provisional is beyond me especially when i don't plan to drive or go abroad! They should introduce these ID cards and make them either very cheap or free, why should i have to pay so much JUST to prove my age?! :evil:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

How much do you have to pay?
purplesnails

Post by purplesnails »

Well apparently these cards are going to be from around £100 up to £300, it's a ridiculous amount. Why do we have to pay so much for one! It'll mean the poorer people can't afford to prove who they are!
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

there should really be no charge to a governments people for the ID that they often require....unless they can subsidise the cost somehow. There is too much poverty in the world to require that people sometimes forego a healthy diet or this or that....gas to go to work to put food upon the table...or whatever. the resentment I feel for so many people is palpable. i only hope that these high charges for your ID, are lowered, so that you can afford them for your whole family... when they are needed to do certain things that should be a right and not a priviledge. (Like driving, getting passports ect.)
It cost about 20 U.S. dollars here for an ID. Not bad by comparison!
I believe that equates to around 160 US...could you tell us the amount in dollars?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

:shock: $20? I thought it was $12?
rayuela

Post by rayuela »

I didn´t know it was so expensive!!!
Here in Spain it costs about 6€ (if it´s your first time or you are going to renew the ID), but the double if you have lost it!
We call the ID "DNI" and in 2008 the DNIs are going to be electronic, with a chip like credit cards. You will have inside the ID chip a public and a private password for accessing to your signature and other things... What do you thing about that? Do you think the electronic ID cards are going to be safer and are going to avoid falsifications?
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

Here cost it 150 EEK (~12$ or 10€). For children who are younger than 15 year or old or disabled peoples it's 25 EEK.