EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Robin Hood was right!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby ghadeer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:30 am

I think rich have to help poor people but not to force them to do.It is a responsibility of goverments to reduce the gap between rich and poor by making program encouraging rich to help poor people and encouraging poor to help themselves also
ghadeer
Silver Member

Postby bigpotato » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:19 am

Robinhood was right. The rich exploiting the poor terribly and unfairly should be treated like that. Robinhood didn't rob or steal anything, he just took things which should had belonged to the poor. :)
bigpotato

Postby bigpotato » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:22 pm

You sound don't get my point. I only want to say that at that time, he's right cause the riches're wrong. If the rich earn money by a good way, Robin is wrong. But they didn't (I just mention the ones whom R took the money). If the rich can offer good conditions and be kind with the poor to give them a "fish rod", then of course, there'll never have such a "Robinhood". Now I think there're qualified courts to consider if a rich earn money by positive way or not, so there's no need a "Robinhood" to judge them. :wink:
How to help the poor? I think the best way is to try not to be as poor as them. :D
bigpotato

Postby lovefrance » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:07 pm

giving is good but not robber nowadays!
lovefrance

Postby heart » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:32 pm

I'm agree ,
He was right,,
Poor people need helps,
In this time no one think like him,,
heart
Silver Member

Postby Ees » Sat May 12, 2007 12:53 pm

Robin Hood took only back what rich had taken from the poors. It was right. But nowadays it is hard, maybe impossible to point one person and say "it is his fault that I am poor" and that it why I can not see that there could be new Robin Hood.

And also, why to just point out the guilty ones when whe should do something by ourselves? There are many ways to help poors to get the fishing-rod. For exemple there are many organisations that gives money for childrens education in Africa or some where else. And I believe that no one of us is so poor that we could not give any money to them. But much easier is to talk about the reasons why the riches does not act.

Okay, don't get me wrong. I really appreciate this conversation, it has really good opinions in it and it is really interesting. And I can not judge any one, because for my own shame I am still one of those who just speaks and does not act. But I am learning at this time not to use so much money for vain things, because when I have learnt it I can give money to those who really needs it. I have not yet done anything, but I try to remind me that I should and I really hope that I will.

That is because I believe that the best thing to do to help the poor ones, is to try to make things different and I think the most powerful thing to do that is to show exemple in humans own life.

And of course, before acting human has to talk and think things, because if people acted without talking and thinking, the act could and probably be just one big catastrophe.

Sorry for really long text. And thank you for really good conversation and opinions.
Ees

Postby Bambang » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:28 am

crippler wrote:Of course, in all societies, disadvantaged people will be more likely to break rules of law.

My friend, please do the research first.

Hi all, If you are a good generous charitable rich person, you don't need to worry for being robbed !!!
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Krisi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:41 am

mamuta wrote:...the best way is not to give a fish, but give a fishing-rod, isn't it?

I agree to this, dear mamuta. It's not good to teach the people how to be lazy. They should learn how to live a lifetime and not for a brief period of time only.
Krisi
Ethereal Member

Postby Krisi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:45 am

Dixie wrote:
mamuta wrote:...the best way is not to give a fish, but give a fishing-rod, isn't it?

That's what I always say (it's a Chinese proverb, right? ;)) Giving is not enough, because what you give will end eventually. We should help the poor in other ways. Governments should play a central role here. But as always they are more interested in their own benefit.

Dearest Dixie, I'm one with you. Someone has to teach the poor to live (this is the meaning of giving a fishing rod), so that they won't feel hungry for the rest of their lives. But, because of the diversification of opinions, others don't perceive this as lessons to be learned and applied. Others will think of this approach (teach and learn to live) as selfishness, (partly because of some belief that emerged within each individual as he/she goes on with his/her life). There are some who doesn't care about the future at all, they only think of the present (sometimes the circumstances just don't allow them to think of their future).
Anyway, (I'm already far from the topic about the righteousness of Robin Hood) going back to the topic, we are all in constant search for truth... we really don't know who's correct. Under the law of man, it's a crime.
For the time being we may be lost, but I'm quite sure we'll all find the truth later on. And whatever truth we are nurturing within us at present, just don't forget one ingredient, sincerity.
Krisi
Ethereal Member

Postby Danyet » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:13 pm

Today, it is The Government that steals from the rich to give to the poor. :D
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion