EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Children should take both parents' surnames.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Bambang » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:53 am

nightwish wrote:
Good excuse to cover your real name.

I'm not making any excuses here dear,
my mother is my father's cousin. :D

Oh I see. Married to a cousin.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Re: Children should take both parents' surnames.

Postby Annaa » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:45 pm

I don`t agree with this,it`s very absurd to have two surnames.
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
Annaa
Rough Diamond Member

Postby ngaminh » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:51 am

I think it depend on your country. it is not neccesary, your childrent can take only one father's surname or mother's surname. some case surname of mother and father is the same.
ngaminh

Children should take both parents' surnames.

Postby martasofia » Wed May 12, 2010 8:26 pm

I think children should take both parents' surnames. The order of them should be a choice too.
From my point of view, having both surnames is a reflection of two different family inheritances and of a complete equality between them.
Names are important, they go with us throughout our life remembering who we are and where we come from and, on the practical sense, it helps to avoid mistakes.
martasofia

Postby andrew » Sun May 16, 2010 10:16 am

Annaa wrote:I don`t agree with this,it`s very absurd to have two surnames.

WHY? :shock:
andrew

Postby andrew » Sun May 16, 2010 10:26 am

In my opinion, children should choose their own surnames in a logical age (13-14 years). Imagine a father who hits his son and then he dissapear from his life. Perhaps the kid only wants to have his mother´s surname (the reason is obvious). Or,for example, imagine your father´s surname is Hitler or Stalin and you live in Deutchland or Russia. It could be a problem if you have others political ideas.
Anyway, in Spain we take both parents´ surname and it isn´t a problem. It woul be a good idea can change it.
andrew

Postby martasofia » Sun May 16, 2010 12:29 pm

NURIA: In my opinion,it's better children take both parents' usernames because the username is a part of us,something that identify us and with two surnames it's easy to recognize someone I think
martasofia

Postby thesnakesolid » Wed May 19, 2010 8:34 pm

i think mother's surname is as important as father's , and children should have both of them, parents have to decide the order of them togheter.
thesnakesolid

Postby NuriaSb » Wed May 19, 2010 9:27 pm

In my opinion, children should take both parents’ surnames because you are part of your father and of your mother too.
Why is it in some countries there is only father’s surname?
As I see, having only your father’s name or when you are married, your husband’s name is a very sexist measure. We are in the 21st century and the equality is an ethical value but in this case, it isn’t applied.
I live in Spain and all the children have both surnames and also women keep their own surnames when they get married. Other countries ought to learn this intelligent measure to making more obvious the sex equality.
NuriaSb

Postby NuriaSb » Wed May 19, 2010 9:30 pm

I agree with Andrew’s because you can have different political opinion with your parents and a name can mark your life. You should be free to change your name for an other that you like more or sounds better.
NuriaSb

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion