EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Reading in English is a waste of time!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Im here

Postby satisfaction » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:56 am

Thanks bam bang
8)

I will
satisfaction

Postby nightwish » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:20 am

I don't agree with that!

English is an international language. Besides, it's so easy to learn it and great language. :!:
nightwish
Silver Member

you said very good!

Postby openboy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:42 am

bambang wrote:It's absolutely not. By reading in English, we can enrich our English vocabulary. In addition to that, by reading in English we can get a lot of information because most information and knowledge are written in English . And most importantly, we can broaden our horizon by reading.

So,reading in English is a waste of time? No way !!!

YOU SAID VERY GOOD!
openboy

Postby nhinhilove » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:27 am

"Practise makes perfect" I think that sentence is absolutely right, therfore we have to improve all the skill of English. Reading book is a way. And I don't think it waste my time, when you read, you can find the structure, the words that you forgot or unknown. Book is a friend who is really patient!!! :wink:
nhinhilove

Re: you said very good!

Postby Bambang » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:54 am

openboy wrote:
bambang wrote:It's absolutely not. By reading in English, we can enrich our English vocabulary. In addition to that, by reading in English we can get a lot of information because most information and knowledge are written in English . And most importantly, we can broaden our horizon by reading.

So,reading in English is a waste of time? No way !!!

YOU SAID VERY GOOD!

Thank you my son.

Psychologically speaking, you are a nice boy.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

I think not

Postby Robert » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:27 am

In my opinion, most of the students in Taiwan learn English with an extremely delicate way! For example, they often look up a dictionary when they don't know what a word means. Or memorize a lot of phrases(Dickson’s phrases or something like that, but they don’t use them in daily conversation. Therefore soon they’ll forget).
And they read just few books! From my perspective, reading a lot can help increase your vocabulary because the same words will appear again and again if you read many.
[/b]
Robert
Silver Member

Re: Hand up!

Postby mamuta » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:00 pm

satisfaction wrote:...there are two kinds of reading.
First kind: That you are reading a news paper, silently, without moving your lips, or hearing your ears.
Second kind: That you are reading carefully and with well pronounciation, and at this kind, i find that i can improving my talking skill, find out new vocabularies, and feel interesting with my new language

Well said! :D I practised both kinds of reading and as for me it works!
mamuta
Gold Member

Postby novatena » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:24 am

In oder to learn english, it's impossible if you do not use english even in reading.
novatena

Re: Reading in English is a waste of time!

Postby swet » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:31 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:Reading in English is a waste of time!

Do YOU agree?

Hi All,

I dont think so that reading in English is a waste of time.Rather reading in any language would never be a waste of time.Everytime you will get something new to learn,to read,which increases your knowledge,skill,ability and many more things.
swet

Postby Tinuss » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:32 pm

How are you around the world? Here in Denmark we are now in full swing after summer holydays - but I have to be better to spell english. This is important.
Tinuss

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion