EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Reading in English is a waste of time!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby basmla » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:57 am

hi every body

i agree with you all that reading english is very important for those who learn it as a second language . it is the best way to know the other cultures and communication as well as their way of thinking.
basmla

Postby swet » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:09 am

Tinuss wrote:How are you around the world? Here in Denmark we are now in full swing after summer holydays - but I have to be better to spell english. This is important.

Yes,you have to be..
but,are you..???
swet

Postby iamvitaly » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:00 pm

I like to read sort stories and jokes (espessialy from Elena)... I know that it's very important and helps me to improve my knowledge of English... My advice for you.... Read more :!: :!: :!:
iamvitaly
Silver Member

Re: Reading in English is a waste of time!

Postby skorpion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:57 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:Reading in English is a waste of time!

Do YOU agree?

I think it really depends. If you're a beginner, it is a waste of time, cause you'll be guessing the pronunciation of a lot of words you don't know, and that'll just make your English hard to understand. Beginners should practice their English by listening a lot and then by speaking. When the learner has strong listening and speaking skills, then he/she can move on to reading.

If you're an advanced student, then reading should not be a waste of time... provided that you keep a good dictionary next to you so that you can always check the correct pronunciation of new words.

I hope this helps.
skorpion

Postby Lithium » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:49 pm

I don't agree .Reading in English and in any other language can't be a waste of time !
Lithium

Postby skorpion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:36 pm

Lithium wrote:I don't agree .Reading in English and in any other language can't be a waste of time !

Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?
skorpion

Postby Lithium » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:44 pm

skorpion wrote:Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?

I look it up in a dictionary :wink:
Last edited by Lithium on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lithium

Postby skorpion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:02 pm

Lithium wrote:
skorpion wrote:Well, it really can be. If you're a beginner then you're wasting your time, cause how are you gonna guess the right pronunciation of each and every word you read?

I look it up in a dictionnary :wink:

And are you sure you're gonna learn how to produce every single English sound not found in your mother tongue? Mainly when you're a beginner? Not only that, are you sure that you, as a beginner, will be able to read the phonetic transcription of every word?

Look it up in a dictionary, but only if you have already developed good listening and speaking skills.

Otherwise, it's a total waste of time.
skorpion

Postby Lithium » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:58 am

:D It isn't a total waste of time !

I'm a beginner and reading english helps me very much , It is not necessery to read long articles and books ... you see what I mean :wink:

ps:thanks for the correction
Lithium

Postby skorpion » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Lithium wrote::D It isn't a total waste of time !

I'm a beginner and reading English helps me very much. There's no need to read long articles and books ... you know what I mean :wink:

ps:thanks for the correction

But are you sure you're learning to pronounce words the right way? What about intonation? What about tag questions? What about inflection? Those things (and others) are very important, and you can't learn 'em by reading.

Get my point?
skorpion

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion