EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Reading in English is a waste of time!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Lithium » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:38 pm

Yeah ! Thanks
Lithium

Postby Bambang » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:27 pm

skorpion wrote:
Lithium wrote::D It isn't a total waste of time !

I'm a beginner and reading English helps me very much. There's no need to read long articles and books ... you know what I mean :wink:

ps:thanks for the correction

But are you sure you're learning to pronounce words the right way? What about intonation? What about tag questions? What about inflection? Those things (and others) are very important, and you can't learn 'em by reading.

Get my point?

Cool.

Join these topics:

http://www.englishclub.com/esl-forums/viewtopic.php?p=328813#328813
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Bibina » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:49 pm

Well,
lots of my students have the opinion that reading generally, not only in English, is a waste of time. I must disagree, it´s a great way of learning vocabulary, you can see how the language works and you can also improve grammar.I believe that reading in the language you are learning is beneficial. Shortened versions of boks for different levels of learners are great, they are very motivating.
Bibina

Postby norhan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:24 am

I don't think that reading in English is a waste of time. as we all know that now English is the global language .most of the greatest books wrritten in English so if u want to be an aware preson u have to read in English.reading in english isn't that easy u need to practise first and u practise by reading a small books at first cuz we all know that "practise makes perfect".so it's noy wasting for our time...
norhan

Postby harryin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:09 am

Well!
Here are the benefits of reading english:-
1. Increases General Knowledge.
2. Increases Practical knowledge of daily activities.
3. Source of information.
4. Sharpens your brain.
5. Incrases your concentration level.
6. Incrases vocabulary.
Last, but not least, Helps in learing the language.
harryin

Postby vince90 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:13 pm

Sometime it is. There are bad English writers out there.
vince90
Platinum Member

Postby milococosiro » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:31 am

English nowadays becomes the second language of many countries. When we talk about language, not only English but also the others, if we want to be an expert, we must practice. One of the most useful way is reading. I have the same opinion with harryin that:
Reading brings out many benefits. Such as:
+ improve knowledge (general and specific)
+ learn more about collocation (which is collected by reading because it isn't taught in classroom)
+ writing skill becomes more better.
milococosiro
Silver Member

Postby harryin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:23 am

milococosiro wrote:English nowadays becomes the second language of many countries. When we talk about language, not only English but also the others, if we want to be an expert, we must practice. One of the most useful way is reading. I have the same opinion with harryin that:
Reading brings out many benefits. Such as:
+ improve knowledge (general and specific)
+ learn more about collocation (which is collected by reading because it isn't taught in classroom)
+ writing skill becomes more better.
:D :)
harryin

Re: Reading in English is a waste of time!

Postby Cunyeu » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm

if u want to improve ur English,u should read in English alot.this is one of most effective ways to learn E.It not only expand our vocabulary ,but also help us to speak E more fluently.So read in E alot,never think that reading in E is a waste of time. :) :)
Cunyeu

Postby meylenlau » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:35 pm

If ones' proficiency of English language is weak,then the time spent on reading will be definately longer compared to those who are better.That's why they may have the perception: "Reading in English is waste of time"
If one really wants to learn and improve English,he/she really has to spend lots of time and efforts, as Rome was not built in a day!
A strong determination is needed.
meylenlau

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion