EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Reading in English is a waste of time!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Re: Reading in English is a waste of time!

Postby bruna » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:22 pm

I would never say "reading in English is a waste of time". Reading in a second language is always an effort but it helps a lot. It is a good idea reading a magazine about a topic you really love (travelling, fashion, ...). In my opinion this is the best way of thinking you are learning and not wasting your time. :-P
bruna

Postby babyfacehao » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:16 pm

Our Belief: Credit is the first, Customers are our God.
Our website: http://www.Electronics-Brand.com
babyfacehao

Postby Vittoria » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:47 am

bruna wrote:I would never say "reading in English is a waste of time". Reading in a second language is always an effort but it helps a lot. It is a good idea reading a magazine about a topic you really love (travelling, fashion, ...). In my opinion this is the best way of thinking you are learning and not wasting your time. :-P

Yes, you're right. In addition, when you start to read in a second language you'll spend more time than usually due to the fact that impossible to refuse your original mentality and the way of thinking but it trains your brain.
Vittoria

Postby rehman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:10 am

reading newspaper and books in english are very important to enrich english..... it is only the best way to collect vacuballary and way of writing........ so i think more reading you will learn more grip over the language.......
rehman

Postby studentss » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:06 pm

Even though I would like to read from original sources, I couldn't learn all possible languages and since there isn't translated everything to every language
studentss

Postby Rui » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:31 pm

For me the most important way of learning a language is to communicate, of course that to achieve a level where you are able to establish a normal conversation you must study a bit by reading, writing and learning some grammar rules, although after that just start communicating with other people because its when you really figure which words and how you should express your thoughts in certain matters.
Rui
Platinum Member

Postby keenlearner » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:24 am

No Way! Reading in English is not a waste of time

It is the best remedy to our minds nowadays.
keenlearner

Postby martinohare » Thu May 21, 2009 12:05 pm

Wasting time is one of the biggest problems that faces us these days. Why? There's so much info. available these days that dealing with the deluge is what defines good usage of our time - to a large extent.

Reading fiction that is not tainted in any way is a great way to fire the imagination,likewise non-fiction that is uplifting gives food for thought. Seeing how others showed wisdom ,overcame adversity or showed great originality or bravery can make us think in a positive light.

For learners of English it is a great way to extend their vocabulary,to give them a greater sense of sentence construction and pnctuation. They should remember to read in a half voice - to enunciate the words as this helps retention of chunks of language allied to vocab retension.

So reading, a balanced diet of it,is one productive way to use your time. Seconds out!
martinohare

Postby lyphan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:07 am

English is a international language, it becomes more and more important nowadays. Mastering English skill is one of the gold keys to communicate with people all over the world.
Reading English help you develop your English skills, therefore it is very essential.
i study English as my second language. Although i have studied hard, my English is not good until now. Please give me advices at "khicon_1853@yahoo.com"
thank so much.
lyphan
Silver Member

Postby coolg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:49 pm

I think,for every language learning, reading, writting, listening, and speaking are complementary things. So it's impossible for us to neglect one of those methods if we want to master the language. In my case, I can't master these four things yet, but I try to progress here.
So, I extend special thanks to the creator of the site for letting me participate in this very nice web! ;-)
coolg

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion