EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Re: Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

Postby englishhelps » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Xkalibur wrote:
TalkingPoint wrote:Should global wealth be re-distributed evenly?

What do YOU think?

Let's think about consequences. First of all, it is a crisis in every segments of economy. If everyone will be rich, then nobody will work. We will have a lot of money, but there will be nothing to buy because no one goes to a factory, office, etc. and does daily job.

That's pretty good. I never thought of it that way. No one will do the jobs that is usually done by the poor.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:36 pm

halfknot wrote:But redistributing the global wealth evenly doesn't mean we would all be rich. We could be just moderate. So we still need to work to get rich or at least, to survive.

But if we're all equal, who's going to do the jobs that were done by the poor? Let's say a poor man is now as equally rich as Bill Gates, who would do the job of the poor?
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Nanning wrote:Remember the theme of Beijing Olympics of 2008?
Yes, you are right! One world, one dream.
Can global wealth be distributed equally or evenly?
Yes, in your dream.

Yes, it will only happen in our dreams.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby halfknot » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:50 pm

englishhelps wrote:But if we're all equal, who's going to do the jobs that were done by the poor? Let's say a poor man is now as equally rich as Bill Gates, who would do the job of the poor?

Just because we are all equal in wealth, doesn't make us equal everywhene. Some of us are stronger, some of us are smarter, some of us will get rich again, some of us will get rich for the first time and most of us will get poor.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.
halfknot
Silver Member

Postby englishhelps » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:27 am

halfknot wrote:
englishhelps wrote:But if we're all equal, who's going to do the jobs that were done by the poor? Let's say a poor man is now as equally rich as Bill Gates, who would do the job of the poor?

Just because we are all equal in wealth, doesn't make us equal everywhene. Some of us are stronger, some of us are smarter, some of us will get rich again, some of us will get rich for the first time and most of us will get poor.

Yes, but there are jobs that the rich wouldn't do. For example, dishwashing. Let's say that everyone is equal in terms of money. That means they are equal in stature. The person who used to wash dishes as a job wouldn't want to do it anymore. Since he's equally as rich as everyone, why would he settle for a lesser job? He'll probably just start his own business. No one would want to go back to doing blue collar jobs.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby Nanning » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:10 am

Two points shall be made clear before we go on:
1. What is wealth?(money, stocks, women, diamond, property, cars,land, oil paintings, etc)
2. How evenly is really evenly? (geographically, per capita, by sex, by age, by country, or what else....)
Please define them, otherwise all is hot air.
Nanning
Silver Member

Postby halfknot » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:54 am

englishhelps wrote:
halfknot wrote:

Yes, but there are jobs that the rich wouldn't do. For example, dishwashing. Let's say that everyone is equal in terms of money. That means they are equal in stature. The person who used to wash dishes as a job wouldn't want to do it anymore. Since he's equally as rich as everyone, why would he settle for a lesser job? He'll probably just start his own business. No one would want to go back to doing blue collar jobs.

Then how they would eat? Everyone will wash its dishes until the weak and the unlucky ones go bankruptcy.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.
halfknot
Silver Member

Postby Tora » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:42 pm

The whole idea of re-distribution the global wealth is absolutely preposterous. Firstly, the adverb 'evenly' every human beeing is tend to understand on his own way. And you may notice that right here, in this thread, one says evenly poor, others - evenly rich. Secondly, seeing someone richer than you is a huge stimulus to an ambitious, educated person, but for an ignorant lowbrow it's like blood in the water that causes revolutions. Working hard on a field that is becoming to your abilities, knowledge and education, besides if it's evenly(!) paid, - I suppose this is the key issue.

I'm convinced that the current people who, as you say, do the lower jobs like washing dishes or cleaning the streets - the job that surely must be more respected, suffer from that white collars that provide the financial bubble of unsupported by manufacturing bulk of money.
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby englishhelps » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:21 pm

A better strategy to do is get back wealth that was accumulated illegally. Like for the Philippines, a lot of our wealth was taken by our ex President Marcos and his wife and is in a Swiss bank. We should get it back. The same applies for other countries.

I think it would be better to say that the first world countries have a moral obligation to help out those in need. After all, we're in just one world.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby halfknot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 pm

By redistributing the global wealth evenly I understand the global amount of money / number of humans.
If it's much or not, I don't know, but I supposed it's medium.
halfknot
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion