EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Do we communicate more with our eyes than with words?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Do we communicate more with our eyes than with words?

Postby TalkingPoint » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:28 pm

People communicate more with their eyes than with words. Discuss.

Wordchecker
communicate: express an idea; share information

Read about Eye Contact
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Re: Do people communicate more with their eyes than with words?

Postby phorntita » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:26 am

Yes, we should call it a kind of " Body Language" which I think people who pay much attention to this aforesaid language can easily notice it. Especially in adults or mature ones who tend to use this kind of language without saying or asking much words when interacting towards others. This is my view point. How do you score me? How many marks do I get?
<(:>)X
phorntita

Postby Atluri » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:36 pm

yes,we give wish,smile and some expressions through eyes.but words give clear idea to others i think people communicate more with words than their eyes
Atluri

Postby reedom » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:49 pm

No, eyes work just as a part of communicational function. To talking of more or less is depends on situation.

There is a situation comedy `An angry man with a whole smile'. He has a bright face, fully smiled eyes but shout out with strong anger tone.
Does spectator rate him happy? Nope.
In this case the more-or-less argument is less meaning; they feel his eyes are just pretending.
reedom

Re: Do we communicate more with our eyes than with words?

Postby LEATRICE » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:08 am

I guess communication first starts with words, and later as it progresses, we need eyes to flourish and facilitate more profound communication.
Words can always fool others, while, you know, eyes comparatively are less deceptive I suppose?
LEATRICE

Postby themoonlight » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 pm

yes people communicate each other thrught the eyes some time it becom like gestures and it express the idea or the mean of person alo lead to understandsome time.
themoonlight

Postby lyphan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:44 am

there are so many means of communication, such letter, telephone, direct conversation, so on. Discussing about eyes contact relates to direct conversation.
it depends on situations. for example a true eye is better than that you say a thousand times " i love you" to who you love when he/ she is in trouble. But you cannot use eyes contact without words to your partners when you start new business.
lyphan
Silver Member

Postby anuu » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:14 pm

and i think that it is not entirely true. we cant talk with eyes..it is our face, our gestures, moves...and that's what can be more clear than words. we can say something untrue but if someone can read our motion, he would know that we arent telling the truth. so yes, we communicate more but not with eyes but with body.
anuu

Postby meylenlau » Sun May 23, 2010 10:20 am

Hi,
Generally , those who can speak usually communicate with a language. We speak and write to pass our massages.When speaking is involved, the nonverbal signs such as hand gestures,eye-contact, body posture and so forth are too helping to express . Thus , we don't use eyes more than words. But , it helps to express the messages more effectively .
In some situations where speaking are not possible, such as in the library, hospital, run into a pretty girl with a partner beside her.... and so forth, we do try to use eyes and hand gestures to communicate.
Even those who are mute do not communicate with eyes only ,instead they use signs language. Babies who can't speak too don't use eyes to communicate, they cry, laugh, babbling , cooing and body language....
Those who are in love maybe experiencing communicating with eyes more than words??? Ha! Ha! Ha!!!{-: :lol: :roll:
meylenlau

Postby tron » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:29 pm

I'm watching that show "Lie to me" and the British man is incredible, he's capable to identify if a person is lying just by identyfing microexpressions, that man and other persons like him would be very useful in trials and interrogations of perps once these lyning detection techniques are more developed and accepted.
tron
Silver Member

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion