asking about causative object

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

googl
Rising Star
Rising Star

asking about causative object

Post by googl »

Excuse me, how do I should ask for the object in the causative "have sth. done" construct? If I will just reverse, there will some a question identical to the perfect object question: I will have sth. done and I will have done sth. How should I ask not to let ambiguity? Thanks in advance.
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by Alan »

Both are objects, but the second construction (will have done smth.) is not causative, since the object in a causative construction always precedes the past participle.

Does that answer your question?
googl
Rising Star
Rising Star

causative object asking (continued)

Post by googl »

I meant: how should I ask for this? If I would say "What will I have done?", will it mean asking in Future Perfect or in Future Simple Causative? How should I ask for the other one?
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by Alan »

There's no difference in the written form of the question, so the same words could represent either construction. When spoken, however, the two would be distinguished in that, in the future perfect construction 'done' would be stressed, while in the causative, 'have' and 'done' would be equally stressed.

In analytical terms, in the future perfect construction, 'what is the object of 'have done', whereas it is the object only of 'have' in the causative, with 'done' standing in a complemental role.

I hope that answers your question!