EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

A relative pronoun and A questionary pronoun.

English grammar help. Grammar questions from ESL learners

Moderator: Alan

A relative pronoun and A questionary pronoun.

Postby pdh0224 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:48 pm

Dear teacher,

Ms. Espinosa is also aware of her own fairy tale experience. "I like who I've become here," she said. "And I see who I've become when I go back home. I feel like I go back. I see where I would be if I never came. I'd still be at Disney, singing with a cover band and doing industrials and singing background tracks for friends who are pursuing recording careers."

Q : I think the function of "who" in "who I've become here" and "who I've become when I go back home" is a questionary pronoun as an indirect question. But the first sentence "I like who I've become here" is odd to me. I believe "who" as a relative pronoun is better than "who" as a questionary pronoun in the sentence.

=> I like myself who I've become here

What do you think?
pdh0224
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:38 am

Loosely, this 'who' - here meaning 'which/what kind of person' - would be classed as a nominal relative, but is more strictly analysed as a conjunctive pronoun.
Alan
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Return to Grammar Help