EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

doubling in equiPPed

English grammar help. Grammar questions from ESL learners

Moderator: Alan

doubling in equiPPed

Postby googl » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:43 am

Dear teacher,

why we double final 'p' in equiPPed? It does not match consonant-vowel-consonant (I read that we do not double final consonant if it is preceded by 2 vowels; but is here 'u' a vowel?)
googl
Silver Member

Postby Alan » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:22 am

You have hit upon a rare exception: 'u' following a 'q' does not count, since it never serves to lengthen the vowel sound.
Alan
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby googl » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:35 am

Dear teacher,

Alan wrote:You have hit upon a rare exception: 'u' following a 'q' does not count, since it never serves to lengthen the vowel sound.

The vowels are a e i o u and sometimes y.

Could You explain me, when a letter is a vowel? (Are there any other rules like 'q' before 'u'? When 'y' is a vowel?)
googl
Silver Member

Postby Alan » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:07 pm

True vowels are only a,e,i,o,u. In some words, such as 'why', 'y' occurs as a substitute vowel.

As regards rules of letter-doubling, you need not be concerned with 'y'. There are no other exceptions to the normal rule that spring to mind beyond that already noted of 'u' following a 'q'.
Alan
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Return to Grammar Help