Gerund or Participle?

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

thomas1991

Gerund or Participle?

Post by thomas1991 »

Hello,

I'm new here and I just have a question :)
I'm coming across an article today about a woman who works in a TV studio and there are some grammar things in which I'm not familiar with:

I don't know if you can imagine what it is like being part of a big team, sometimes having to arrive in the early morning and on other days not starting until late in the afternoon, helping to prepare programmes and often watching them go out "live" to an audience of millions.
It was all very controversial, with some of the studio guests shouting and screaming and arguing that the press didn't care about morals and were only interested in making bigger and bigger profits.

I understand the content of the two sentences but I don't know how to build them. What grammar rules are behind them? Whey there are some verbs written in the -ing form?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Tom
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Re: Gerund or Participle?

Post by Alan »

All underlined forms are gerunds except 'shouting' and 'screaming', which are participles.

(For general differences between these forms, please consult the ESL Learning centre, and return here with specific queries on a sentence-by-sentence basis.)