Prepositional phrase Vs Direct object

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

moazzam

Prepositional phrase Vs Direct object

Post by moazzam »

Respected Teacher,
The following sentences don't have direct objects, they have prepositional phrases. We need a direct object to form a passive sentence. I have read more about the direct object and how to find it in a sentence. For a direct object to be present in a sentence, a sentence must answer the questions "What" or Whom". I did not find these answers in the following sentences, so as far as I know, if I am not wrong, the passive of these sentences is not possible.

He is playing with me ["with me"= prepositional phrase] no object in this sentence
John is sitting by me ["by me"= prepositional phrase] no object in this sentence
I slept in the bed ["in the bed"= prepositional phrase] no object in this sentence
Mary arrived at school ["at school"= prepositional phrase] no object in this sentence
He fell on the ground ["on the ground"= prepositional phrase] no object in this sentence

I have three questions;
1) Is the passive of the above mentioned sentences possible? If not, please explain a bit why is it not possible.
2) If the passive of above mentioned sentences is possible, give me the reasons.
3) How to differentiate between a verb+preposition combination and prepositional phrase in a sentence in order to convert it into passive voice?

I will be very grateful to you If you provide the reasonable answers of my questions.
Thank you so much!
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Re: Prepositional phrase Vs Direct object

Post by Alan »

The question is essentially whether the verb+preposition combinations can legitimately be termed 'phrasal verbs' (one that is determined by conventions of usage rather than by any simple rule, and for which you need therefore to refer, on a case-by-case basis, to a good learner's dictionary).

To save you the trouble regarding the examples you cite, however, I can confirm that passives are not possible except for #3 (we can say e.g. 'this bed has been slept in'.)