Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What is the name of the £ sign?

Frequently Asked Questions about English

Moderator: TalkingPoint

What is the name of the £ sign?

Postby EC » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:27 pm

What is the name and origin of the £ sign?

The £ sign is called a "pound sign". It is a currency symbol for pounds sterling (GBP) and other pounds. It is basically a capital letter L, written in old-fashioned roundhand, with one or two crossbars added to indicate that it is being used as a symbol. The L stands for the Latin word "libra", the name of a Roman unit of weight.
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:11 pm
Location: UK
Status: English Teacher

Return to English Language FAQ

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests