EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Deadly news in Asia

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Deadly news in Asia

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:50 am

Such a news such a news! The number of dead people keeps increasing each time I reset my yahoo homepage. This is so sad!
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... earthquake

Postby Arale » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:00 am

The tsunami has killed more than 26,000 people in 10 countries up to now. More dreadfully, this number keeps increasing and may reach over 50,000. :( The tsunamis were not regarded as the biggest in recorded history, but its effects may be the much biggest ever.

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:29 pm

Arale wrote:The tsunami has killed more than 26,000 people in 10 countries up to now. More dreadfully, this number keeps increasing and may reach over 50,000. :( The tsunamis were not regarded as the biggest in recorded history, but its effects may be the much biggest ever.

_Arale_

It is now over 50,000, Ary. :cry:

Postby Arale » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:00 am

Oh Len, it keeps increasing at a dizzy rate. It is over 80,000 now and more than 45,000 in Indonesia alone. :( God bless them!

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

to be aware

Postby real_lord » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:27 pm

Hello:)
I would like to make my contribution into your discussion but in quite different way.
Sometimes I wonder why scientists couldn't predict what could happen there.
Because our planet has been changing for millions of years and the process will be continued untill it will explode/vanish etc.
:(((
Last year I had an unforgettable occasion to experience lots of things about our planet we all can learn in school.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk
or:
http://nhm.ac.uk/museum/earthgalleries

which I would like to recommend to everyone.

real_lord
real_lord

I must correct

Postby real_lord » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:36 pm

mistake in my precious post that I have noticed:
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/museum/earthgalleries
(I forgot to write http://www.Sorry).
Or just click EARTH GALLERIES in "EXHIBITIONS" section.
I think that a young person age 13 who will go and experience simulation and results of what an earthquake in Kobe was like some years ago should think about learning geography more than about kicking and hitting himself.
Don't you think?;)))
Now I can go to celbrate New Year. Let's hope it will better than the passing one. At least for me;)))
real_lord:)))
real_lord

Postby Arale » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:23 pm

The total death toll has reached more than 141,000, with nearly 80,000 deaths reported in Indonesia alone. :(

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

tragedy in Indonesia

Postby real_lord » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:17 pm

Oh Lord!
At last I've got info that I SOME people of Indonesia were informed about comming tsunami by Japanese scientists of course. Who? Some reserach centres&governments etc. Quite obvious. So the point is lots of people could really avoid death if informed by their dear compatriots about comming tsunami.
But they were standing on the beaches as we can see on TV while the ocean was rising and rising in front of them.
I don't like people who say "it was a God punishment for sex tourism there" etc. cause I know too well that some MPS probably escaped total destruction using their private jets and staying informed thanks to the Net connection for example.
While others were not just lucky enough to realise what was on.

I watched one relation of total diseaster of a one particular village about 5000 people, mostly living in shabby barracks, christian pictures on the walls and school textbooks on tables.
Couldnot they be just evacuated? Were their really engaged in sex tourism much more than other people all other the world???
No.I think mostly they died because some governments are still more interested in fighting with their political opponents while citizens of their country die because of tsunami for example.
From my point of view the real tragedy is their polical views are really without meaning because they mostly preach what is comfortable/suitable to them in the very moment of their life/situation. I know only few people who don't contradict their speeches to the big audience in real life.
All in all noone will never understand this strange phenomena that some nations have wise governments who take care of the nation and others are unable to unite to live comfortable and together do something positive.
WHY??? Why they (politicians/governments/members of parliaments) are so often so concetraded on destructing thier own nations instead of building together better reality???
Does anyone here know the answer???
real_lord
real_lord

Re: to be aware

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:04 am

real_lord wrote:Hello:)
I would like to make my contribution into your discussion but in quite different way.
Sometimes I wonder why scientists couldn't predict what could happen there.
Because our planet has been changing for millions of years and the process will be continued untill it will explode/vanish etc.
:(((
Last year I had an unforgettable occasion to experience lots of things about our planet we all can learn in school.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk
or:
http://nhm.ac.uk/museum/earthgalleries

which I would like to recommend to everyone.

real_lord

Well, scientists are still humans, they're not supermen. Besides, we humans have lost our natural instincts after years of being evolved so it's hard for us to sense the changes of nature. Therefore, we can only predict things that have already happened to us. Tsunami is an example. It's happened to the US, specific area is Alaska in 1964. That's why US and other countries that highly have tsunami have the monitor to detect the changes in the ocean to observe the development of tsunami. Southeast Asia and Sri Lanka area never had tsunami before so that's why they never thought it'd happen there. We're paying a good price for our lesson. :cry:

Re: tragedy in Indonesia

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:19 am

real_lord wrote:Oh Lord!
At last I've got info that I SOME people of Indonesia were informed about comming tsunami by Japanese scientists of course. Who? Some reserach centres&governments etc. Quite obvious. So the point is lots of people could really avoid death if informed by their dear compatriots about comming tsunami.
But they were standing on the beaches as we can see on TV while the ocean was rising and rising in front of them.
I don't like people who say "it was a God punishment for sex tourism there" etc. cause I know too well that some MPS probably escaped total destruction using their private jets and staying informed thanks to the Net connection for example.
While others were not just lucky enough to realise what was on.

I watched one relation of total diseaster of a one particular village about 5000 people, mostly living in shabby barracks, christian pictures on the walls and school textbooks on tables.
Couldnot they be just evacuated? Were their really engaged in sex tourism much more than other people all other the world???
No.I think mostly they died because some governments are still more interested in fighting with their political opponents while citizens of their country die because of tsunami for example.
From my point of view the real tragedy is their polical views are really without meaning because they mostly preach what is comfortable/suitable to them in the very moment of their life/situation. I know only few people who don't contradict their speeches to the big audience in real life.
All in all noone will never understand this strange phenomena that some nations have wise governments who take care of the nation and others are unable to unite to live comfortable and together do something positive.
WHY??? Why they (politicians/governments/members of parliaments) are so often so concetraded on destructing thier own nations instead of building together better reality???
Does anyone here know the answer???
real_lord

That is new to me. All I've heard is "payback time for Muslims; the Judgment Day is near; this is God's punishment because of humans' faults; we, humans, have been digging a grave for ourselves by destroying our Earth with global warming and other issues; blah blah blah" Whatever the reason is, I don't think it's the point to talk about it now. The main thing we must do is help them poor victims to get passed this grief. After that, those people need their time to get back on their feet and we all still need to be there to help them emotionally. Then we'll start to learn about our lesson and try to make it better. I think we humans are much better than being panicky and starting to worry about things that are nonsense. Although iit's good to me to see people've started to get together; people've started to lean on religions and those are bringing people close to each other but I don't think it's healthy to think this is God's punishment or whatever. We should think the Earth changes all the time and we can't predict the changes all the time. Each time thing happens to us, each time we'll learn something new.

Next

Return to Current News