EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

USA AND "MEMIN PINGUIN"

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

USA AND "MEMIN PINGUIN"

Postby Elba » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:03 pm

At México there are cartoons about the life of mexican. This is the case of an old comic called "Memín Pinguin", very famous in another countries of latin america.
This is the story of a black boy, because at México there are blacks too, who is very poor, he live with his Mom "Malinda", who works hard in order to give her son meals and elementary school. "Memin Pinguin" = William the rascal" or "Naughty William" makes lot of naughty things, but he is a good boy who loves his mother.
Why I told you this story, because the mexican postal office decide to do a tribute to the mexican cartoons and publish a serie of stamps with the principal characters of the cartoons.
Memín Pinguin is a very old cartoon, maybe 50 years old, but USA government is very angry now, because they think the stamp of Memin is an insult to the afroamericans, include Jesse Jackson said that mexican government should ask for pardon.
I desagree with that because what will happen when the postal office publish the stamp of the cartoon of Ms. Borola Burrón -a red hair woman who live in a mexicana bronx. Then mexicana government must to ask for pardon of Germany.
The USA government doesn´t understand what "popular culture" mean for mexicans.

Here a web site about Memín, unfurtunally is in spanish, but you can see the stamps and give your opinion.

http://www.mundovid.com/prodetalle.asp?idprod=1111
Elba
Rough Diamond Member

Re: USA AND "MEMIN PINGUIN"

Postby MissLT » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:36 am

Elba wrote:
The USA government doesn´t understand what "popular culture" mean for mexicans.

It depends on the level of racism you're seeing behind all this. Besides, this whole thing started when,
"The stamps were released just weeks after Fox angered U.S. blacks by saying Mexican migrants take jobs in the United States that "not even blacks" want."
Click here
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Danyet » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:31 am

It is none of USA's buisiness to decide what is "politically correct" for Mexico. Americans do not know the whats or hows of Mexican culture. You cannot judge Mexican culture or Fox by US standards. American cry-babies should keep their mouths shut.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:47 am

Man, I wish Fox would make stamps for the Simpsons. I wonder why they haven't :? .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Elba » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:58 pm

I´m glad that people from USA participate in this topic. Thnak you very much.

Lennye Trann wrote:It depends on the level of racism you're seeing behind all this. Besides, this whole thing started when,
"The stamps were released just weeks after Fox angered U.S. blacks by saying Mexican migrants take jobs in the United States that "not even blacks" want."

Yes Lennye, mexican president is too fool, usually he get confussed in his speech. I remember that some day he confused the name of a latinamerican writter: Jorge Luis Borgesand he said JOSE LUIS BORGUES. He is too "stupid" man, he never pay atenttion in what his speech said, because you should know that has a group of people who make his speechs.

Every time Mr president has a mistake the mexican press make a big noisy in order to let him know that he was wrong. That was the case of the "NOT EVEN BLACKS", but if you analyse this sentences you could percibe that -and this is a fact- at USA black people has a second place in the society, but mexicans has the five place in the social scale. Then the reacism is not from Mexico, but also of the USA GOVERNMENT.

About MEMIN PINGUIN, this is an old cartoon, from 1950, and is part of a tribute of Postal Ofice to mexican cartoons. Usually postal ofice make that kind of tributes, there are series of stamps about politicians, historic buildings, mexican fruits, etc.
Fox don´t order to make this tributes, is part of the independence of the postal ofice. Anf the postal ofice doesn´t make any tribute to Simposons, because there aren´t mexicans.
Elba
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:35 pm

Elba wrote: Anf the postal ofice doesn´t make any tribute to Simposons, because there aren´t mexicans.

:P I was talking about FOX, channel 2 in the US, not Fox your president. Sorry I didn't make it clear.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Elba » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:49 pm

Lennye Tran wrote:I was talking about FOX, channel 2 in the US, not Fox your president. Sorry I didn't make it clear.

Jua Jua Jua Jua and more JUA,

Then why you put in your reply a link about Mr president Vicente Fox?
Let me tell you something: I´m journalist, and for that reazon I love the true, even if day by day mass media acept orders from the people of power, even if day by day more journalist are conquered by the money of people of power. Do you understand?
I don´t like to be false, I recognize every mistake I do, and wrong things like happen in Mexico, like narcotrafic, kidnapkings, etc. But I recognize too the good things, like the effort every day mexicans -no politicians, common people- do in order to get a better country.
An for that I recognize the mistakes of the president, and where another countries, like USA or UK say wrong things about my country.
Elba
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:50 pm

Elba wrote: Every time Mr president has a mistake the mexican press make a big noisy in order to let him know that he was wrong. That was the case of the "NOT EVEN BLACKS", but if you analyse this sentences you could percibe that -and this is a fact- at USA black people has a second place in the society, but mexicans has the five place in the social scale. Then the reacism is not from Mexico, but also of the USA GOVERNMENT.

Everyone knows racism exists in the US. No one tries to denies it because it happens everywhere in the US. It's a white-men country, for God's sake. African-Americans and other ethnic groups are still considered as minority groups in the US. However, African-American group is the biggest, following is Spanish and then others (this is just a fact, it has nothing to do with I'm trying to say) Anyway, there is racism in the US; therefore, people try to avoid to talk about it or try to make comparison between ethnic groups of people to see which group is better. What your president has said is an insult to African-Americans and I believe to Mexican people also. He's angered them by his speech; now he's trying to be involved with a cartoon that talks about an African-American boy. It's like he's made a scab and now he's picking at it. That's why the action makes them angry, not the cartoon itself. If he hadn't said anything about African-Americans or made comparison, no protest would have happened. Do you feel what I'm saying?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:51 pm

Elba wrote:
Lennye Tran wrote:I was talking about FOX, channel 2 in the US, not Fox your president. Sorry I didn't make it clear.

Jua Jua Jua Jua and more JUA,

Then why you put in your reply a link about Mr president Vicente Fox?

That's the link about the incident and his name reminded me of Fox channel 2. That's all :roll: :roll: .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Elba » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:56 pm

Ok Lennye,

But I have to say you that Memín is not an AFRICAN-AMERICAN boy, is a MEXICAN BOY. Belive me, the author of the cartoon was a mexican women who died some years ago. At mexico there is black people in all the states of the country.
Remember that spanish conquers transport people from Caribe and use them as slaves at the same time they used as slaves mexican people. After that, at the beginig of 30´s more people from Cuba come to México. This was a period of a big inmigration of black people. In 50´s when Batista was president of Cuba, another big number of cubans came to Méxic.
A similar phenomena take place with chines people at 40´s and with spanish people until the spanish civil war.
México is a frienship country, for that reazon, at 1970 people from Chile came here, and return to their countri when Pinochet was quicket out the power.
Do you know that uncle got marry with a black woman from Acapulco. My uncle died at 1992, they has four children -3 woman and 1 boy- Now, three of my cousins has one child. All of them are black and are beautifull babies.
Elba
Rough Diamond Member

Next

Return to Current News