Turkish Honour Killings

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderator: EC

Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Turkish Honour Killings

Post by Danyet »

In a new survey by a Turkish university, almost 40% said a woman who commits adultery deserves to be murdered.
More than 20% apparently thought the death penalty was too harsh, but cutting off noses or ears would be appropriate.
A survey by a university in Turkey has shown almost 40% support for the practice of “honour killing”.
The results come days after a court in Istanbul gave a life sentence for the murder of a girl by her brothers for giving birth to a child out of wedlock.
Turkish law, which used to be lenient on “honour crimes”, was heavily revised as part of the country’s preparation for EU accession proceedings.
Turkey has started talks with the EU but is not expected to join for years.
The survey was conducted in the conservative south-eastern city of Diyarbakir. It questioned 430 people, most of them men. When asked the appropriate punishment for a woman who has committed adultery, 37% replied she should be killed.
Twenty-five percent said that she deserved divorce, and 21% that her nose or ears should be cut off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4357158.stm
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Turkish Honour Killings

Post by Shazzam »

To me it sounds like "the tide is turning". If you had run this sort of poll ten years ago I think you would have found a larger majority justifying murder. It is encouraging to see a larger proportion of the population leaning towards divorce.

Maybe there is hope.

Changes like these in cultures that have fixed definitions on crime; will take time. From my perspective from the figures that you have stated ; it seems that the changes are starting to take place.

I think it is encouraging. 8)