EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Battle for Taiwan

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Battle for Taiwan

Postby Unknownsu » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:22 pm

Heated arguments have been made on both sides. China wants control over the small island of Taiwan for political pride and economical growth and has stated many times that they will not give up. The Taiwanese government wants independence for its people and democracy throughout the island. The US and Japan have sided with Taiwan and fears of war has been on the horizon.

Will there be war? What is your take on this?
Unknownsu
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:34 am

Taiwan, of course. Mainland China has been playing a 'big brother' to other countries. Now it's time it should stop. And no more island should become another communist area, please.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:56 am

China, of course. And I bet people who don't understand the historical background to be quiet and to read.
Admiral

Postby Danyet » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:10 am

The people of Taiwan have already spoken so this question is useless waste of time. Taiwan will remain free and free of China.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Admiral » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:23 am

Ohyes, USA will solve this problem, won't they?
Admiral

Postby Unknownsu » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:08 am

Read the question correctly, guys. I did not ask who will win if there is an outbreak of war, I asked do you think war between these two nations will happen and what reasons do you have for believing so.
Unknownsu
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Unknownsu » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:09 am

danyet wrote:The people of Taiwan have already spoken so this question is useless waste of time. Taiwan will remain free and free of China.

Perhaps you are right since whatever is discussed here will have no effect on what will happen. Just because Taiwan wants freedom, they won't necessarily get it handed to them.
Unknownsu
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:48 pm

Unknownsu wrote:Read the question correctly, guys. I did not ask who will win if there is an outbreak of war, I asked do you think war between these two nations will happen and what reasons do you have for believing so.

You asked for my takes and I took Taiwan with my reasons. Did I miss something? :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:50 pm

Admiral wrote:China, of course. And I bet people who don't understand the historical background to be quiet and to read.

Admiral, we've had a dicussion about this in the past, and I know you long for communism, but don't understand historical background???? Give me a break, dude....
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Danyet » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:50 pm

It is hard to say if USA will make good on it's promise to back Taiwan if China attacks. It would not surprize me if USA was too chicken to help little Taiwan in her time of need, especially after the beating the radical left and leftist media has given USA on Iraq.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Next

Return to Current News