Gas - Oil war in Ukraine , has old Russia come back?

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderator: EC

Anahita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Gas - Oil war in Ukraine , has old Russia come back?

Post by Anahita »

At last it finished ! the gas war between Ukraine and Russia reached to a point that both countries saw it clearly its impossible to go on like this. But one problem still has remained ( or better said a question has remained without answer ) is oil & gas is Russia's new weapon for threating other countries? Will this former super powerful country try to bully independent countries like Ukraine which is the bridge between Asia and Europe , and continues to make another disasters for not only Europe but for other parts of the world too?

http://www.ukrainenews.com/
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Ukraine is the heart of Russia. It is where the the Russian culture and people sprang from. To call it another "independant country" is sad. Half of Ukrainians native language is Russian and almost all Ukrainians speak Russian. Russia is upset that Ukranians elected a pro West government. A pipeline was built long ago through Ukraine before the split. These are backgroung facts.

But if a foriegn pipeline goes through your land shouldn't you get compensation?
Anahita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Anahita »

danyet wrote:Ukraine is the heart of Russia. It is where the the Russian culture and people sprang from. To call it another "independant country" is sad. Half of Ukrainians native language is Russian and almost all Ukrainians speak Russian. Russia is upset that Ukranians elected a pro West government. A pipeline was built long ago through Ukraine before the split. These are backgroung facts.

But if a foriegn pipeline goes through your land shouldn't you get compensation?

oh Danyet i am not sure my Ukrainian friend will be agree with you about this matter ( probably he will fight angrily with you about his motherland like a brave Cossack ! :wink: you know how much these Ukrainian guys are proud , zealous and patriot some times ! :D ) but i am kind of agree with you about this point that Ukraine was ( and still can considered as ) the heart of Russia ,( tho this doesnt turn it into the real part of it ) and compensation point , you know. of course they have many common points with Russians , both cultural and historical but most of them dont agree about letting Russia to gain power over their country again ,( even if they are Russians and former communists among their people who want to reunited with Russia ) especially after what happened during Orange revolution and all those riots and fights ,it was like most of Ukrainian were tired of brainwashed leaders who wanted to make them to bow down to Russia again and again which is so natural reaction from such a patriot people... but well .. we have seen how Russia was dealing with other countries and we know also Putin wont let Ukraine to slip away so easily from Russia's hook so sooner or later i guess we should wait for more problems from Russia in this part of world , cause this former KGB agent wont give up soon and without fighting back .. you know some people are thinking he is the new version of Ivan the terrible infact :wink:
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

I am not yet sure about Putin. I know that he is a Black belt in Martial Arts. That's usually a good sign. I don't think that he is a hard line communist. But I do think he was making a mistake trying to hold onto Ukraine. He should gracefully let them go if they want and continue friendly relations. That way at least Ukraine will be a good ally for Russia.
Anahita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Anahita »

Anyuta wrote:Hallo! I'm from ukraine and i don't agree that my country is the part of Russia. we have a really independent country with very nise people. And i am really sorry that you think so about Ukraine.

Pryvit Anyuta ! :D
Indeed ! I second you. neither Russia nor other country has any right for making a threat on an indepedent country like Ukraine , exactly not in this part of the world...
and i am totally agree with you about the second part of your comment :wink: personally i never have met any other people more kind heart, friendly , polite and lovely than Ukrainians ! one of the best people in the world ! :D
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

You have misread my post. I like Ukraine people and also Russian people. I think that russia should compensate Ukraine for running a pipeline through Ukraine. I merely made references to the common ancestry of both countries. It is said that Vikings built Kiev and spread settlements through the entire regions!
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

What a nice thread a nasty russian girl has found!.. :mrgreen:

I need so many things to be said. uf. Actually we do not consider Ukraine as a part of Russia, it's 100% independent! certainly we would be glad if our country is surrounded by allies, but not NATO military forces...
going back to the gas issue. Being able to get 3 different views on the problem i may say that european and american mass media considered it as an attempt of russian government to rebuilt control upon the former soviet union republic, russian newspapers were discribing it from the economical point of view only and how the russian gazprom can let down it's european colleags while the ukranians were stealing gas...

And now the thing that i'm really concerned about! A week ago the election took place in Belarus and the present president won (82% of the nation voited for i guess it's hard to swindle...) BUT the european governments and the US one called it anti-democratical and refused to take into consideration. The two ones who failed the struggle with Mr. Lukashenko settled a "village" in the center of Minsk which was demolished (peacefully) three of four days ago. Yesterday the revolutioneers gatherd there again for a peaceful meeting and it WAS peaceful until they didn't decide to move in the direction of prison, where their participants were sent to. From that very moment the military forces were involved and it was followed by the results we already now...
And today the parliament election is held in Ukraine. they have lack of election polls and the lists of members are too long (>70 cm), people make their decision out of the cabins, 70 year-old gentleman died while standing in a queue... (more than an hour and a half)... I wonder if they will be considered as democratical and be successfully accepted in US...

I beg my pardon for the amount of mistakes... :oops:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

As for me i find the election in Belarus rather liberal and legal as far as i know about it! Consequently i accept all the actions of the Belarus authorities! I find all the statements made by Mr. Lukashenko rather sound and definetely he can't be suspected in playing with both russian and US governments (comparing with Ukraine). And i'm quite disappointed with russian authorities that still held the distance between two countries, it may be connected with Russian presidence in G8 i don't know... And the articles in russian newspapers seems to be just a translation of the pro-american ones, which i read either...
But some more evidence: all the people i know from Belarus voited for Lukashenko because they do not see someone else who can take the position! Belarus is a rapidly developing country and in a certain way it happend due to the strict and stern Lukashenko!
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I was not mistaken US government considered the election in Ukraine as honest and free and legal one! 8)
Cucumber
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cucumber »

Tora wrote:I was not mistaken US government considered the election in Ukraine as honest and free and legal one! 8)
:D :D I imagine American's voter with one meter of candidates' surname listed in the bulletin!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: