EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.


rape reform - Pakistan

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

rape reform - Pakistan

Postby Danyet » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:36 am

Pakistan delays rape reform plans Pakistan's government has delayed presenting a bill in parliament which would have reformed rape laws.
But following complaints from Islamic and secular parties the government says it will now re-draft its proposals to create more of a consensus.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5337752.stm
The Hudood Ordinance criminalises all sex outside marriage, so if a rape victim fails to present four male witnesses to the crime she herself could face punishment and be prosecuted for adultery.
The government says that makes it almost impossible to prosecute a rape case.
User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Location: USA
Status: English Teacher

Re: rape reform - Pakistan

Postby Shazzam » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:16 am

danyet wrote:Pakistan delays rape reform plans Pakistan's government has delayed presenting a bill in parliament which would have reformed rape laws.
But following complaints from Islamic and secular parties the government says it will now re-draft its proposals to create more of a consensus.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5337752.stm
The Hudood Ordinance criminalises all sex outside marriage, so if a rape victim fails to present four male witnesses to the crime she herself could face punishment and be prosecuted for adultery.
The government says that makes it almost impossible to prosecute a rape case.


No much wonder so many of these people escape their own countries and look for refuse somewhere else. This almost made me sick. Woman in these countries don't have any rights at all. I wouldn't last five minutes there. I would buy a GUN yes a GUN Danyet and take matters into my hands if I had to put up with this type of s...t!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Re: rape reform - Pakistan

Postby Dixie » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:24 am

Shazzam wrote:I wouldn't last five minutes there. I would buy a GUN yes a GUN Danyet and take matters into my hands if I had to put up with this type of s...t!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:


Same here :!: It's a big feeling of impotence since we can't do anything.
User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
 
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Catalunya
Status: English Teacher

Re: rape reform - Pakistan

Postby Shazzam » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:27 am

Dixie wrote:
Shazzam wrote:I wouldn't last five minutes there. I would buy a GUN yes a GUN Danyet and take matters into my hands if I had to put up with this type of s...t!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:


Same here :!: It's a big feeling of impotence since we can't do anything.


Why are some countries so far behind others? My opinion is the UN should be trying to uniform all CIVIL RIGHTS not just some. STUFF customs; LETS GET REAL we are talking about HUMAN rights. Aren't WOMEN human? This just makes me so mad. Most women work harder than men; why do you think they call childbirth LABOR for godsake. Then after you have raised that child you are expected to work like a horse to raise the child, look after the family, and in most cultures become a working (pay wise) part of the community.

Wow I could go on forever~!!!
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Danyet » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:40 pm

The UN is incapable of doing anything about anything so don't look to them. They sat and watched in Rawanda, remember!

You need to address the root of the problem. This attitude is bred into them by their culture. And what is the main influence in their culture?

That's right, you guessed it. Their religion.
Do something about that.
User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Location: USA
Status: English Teacher

Postby jeffcox » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:00 am

If one group tries to impose their ideals on another... all ~ breaks out.

If one group tries this... they're insulted for being imperialistic.

If they do nothing... they're insulted for doing nothing.

It's a no-win situation for anybody who does anything by force in any country other than their own.

Anybody who thinks that the UN can just go in there, change what they want, and then leave, is poorly informed. Rwanda had the complication of internal civil unrest between the Tutsi and the Hutu groups. It's funny how the problem is always blamed on the UN and not those factions who have been fighting each other for about 600 years.

As for the UN, it's a US puppet. The UN can do nothing without US support. The US didn't want to get involved, and the British lacked courage... the French... well, that's another story.

The question is, whose job is it to police the entire planet?

As for what we can do... make every case an international scandal. The Iranian government have already made many retreats on death sentences because they were internationally embarrassed.

http://www.myspace.com/savenazanin

Write to the Pakistani ambassador in your country. Get involved with Amnesty International.. etc.
jeffcox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 am
Location: England - Brazil

Postby Shazzam » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:23 am

jeffcox wrote:If one group tries to impose their ideals on another... all ~ breaks out.

If one group tries this... they're insulted for being imperialistic.

If they do nothing... they're insulted for doing nothing.

It's a no-win situation for anybody who does anything by force in any country other than their own.

Anybody who thinks that the UN can just go in there, change what they want, and then leave, is poorly informed. Rwanda had the complication of internal civil unrest between the Tutsi and the Hutu groups. It's funny how the problem is always blamed on the UN and not those factions who have been fighting each other for about 600 years.

As for the UN, it's a US puppet. The UN can do nothing without US support. The US didn't want to get involved, and the British lacked courage... the French... well, that's another story.

The question is, whose job is it to police the entire planet?

As for what we can do... make every case an international scandal. The Iranian government have already made many retreats on death sentences because they were internationally embarrassed.

http://www.myspace.com/savenazanin

Write to the Pakistani ambassador in your country. Get involved with Amnesty International.. etc.


I am well aware that the UN is useless; I was just making a point that they should have these sort of rights. I mean what good are they (pretty much nothing these days). When the US basically told them that they were going to do what they wanted ( a few years ago) it became apparent that they have the same power as a sales attendant at McDonalds. :roll:

I am just saying that this is the sort of role that they should be playing. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe the answer is stay away from countries like these and if you live there and you don't like it leave. The problem is that as we know it is a hard road for most refugees (it isn't that easy to leave).
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Danyet » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:24 am

I over estimated you if you believe that UN is USA's puppet. You have not been paying too much attention. USA wants to pull out of the UN. No one blames UN for the problems. They do say that UN is ineffective though. That is quite different. The Un has been taken over by countries that have traditionaly been plagued by totalitarian and human rights issues. The UN is no longer the good guys that is why many Americans want out of it.
User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Location: USA
Status: English Teacher

Postby Shazzam » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:27 am

danyet wrote:I over estimated you if you believe that UN is USA's puppet. You have not been paying too much attention. USA wants to pull out of the UN. No one blames UN for the problems. They do say that UN is ineffective though. That is quite different. The Un has been taken over by countries that have traditionaly been plagued by totalitarian and human rights issues. The UN is no longer the good guys that is why many Americans want out of it.


Oh hello the penny has dropped. Wow I thought you would have paid more attention. That is exactly what I was saying. Basically the US said they weren't going to listen to anything that they had to say etc. etc. It is also a well know fact that they haven't paid their "subscription fees" for yonks.

Obviously they don't want anything to do with the UN. :idea:
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby jeffcox » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:27 pm

First point: The US want out because it's bad image to go against the UN - it simply makes them look bad. They will do what they want anyway, so go independent and eliminate one negative aspect and remove the need to debate with a group of people who take forever to make a decision!

Second: Who said the UN should police the world? That's the problem. When you impose your will on a country by force, it is no longer resolved by a war. The new strategy is terrorism. This isn't defeated by war and guns, you have to destroy the reasoning and the motivation for terrorism, and that's a long-term process.

Each country must be responsible for its own policing. Imagine if one group could invade your country when they think you're not doing a good job.

Therefore, there needs to be very strict control over when and why one force should intervene in the internal politics of another country.

Look at UN activity in Africa, as an example. There has been little UN intervention in African countries when human rights violations have occurred. Why? My guess is that Africa doesn't have much to offer the US. Asia, on the contrary, has a lot of oil that the US does like a lot.

They say that the UN is ineffective because it often goes against US decisions or takes a long time to make the decision that the US wants. The UN was never the 'Good Guys'... that's my point! I overestimate you if you believe that the UN doesn't and has never had its own interests at heart.
jeffcox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 am
Location: England - Brazil

Next

Return to Current News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests