EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.


rape reform - Pakistan

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby jeffcox » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:53 pm

Therefore, who is to intervene, if all those with power abuse it to further their own interests?

Back to the Rape issue; Write to the ambassador of that country. Write to your local news network, write to Amnesty International. Make a noise. Often, countries get embarrassed about their internal politics when such news becomes international.

When they begin to feel ashamed, they show their own citizens that it is wrong... then you're changing the motivation and philosophy of the people. Then, real change can take place.

It takes time. But another war is the answer? Must the UN invade any country that they consider does something wrong?
jeffcox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 am
Location: England - Brazil

Postby Danyet » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:32 pm

jeffcox wrote:First point: The US want out because it's bad image to go against the UN - it simply makes them look bad.

Some US politicians think that it looks worse to leave the UN. That is the main reason why US still there. That and, we don't want to leave our allies Britain, Australia etc "hanging'.




jeffcox wrote:Second: Who said the UN should police the world?

What do you think it was formed for in the first place? To keep order!
User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Location: USA
Status: English Teacher

Postby jeffcox » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:57 pm

Formed to keep order... more to protect certain interests.

The US is still in the UN to maintain certain allied ties, this is true. But the US is becoming more and more unilateral. They need, less and less, the positive support of such allies.

But anyway, this is politics (forbidden subject) and digresses from the thread's subject.

If you were to leave out the idea of military intervention, what other suggestions would you offer?

Would economic sanctions change anything? North Korea and Cuba have shown that this doesn't work and that it only punishes and tortures the population more.

If we consider that we have to take action against any country that violates human rights, then almost every country would have to be invaded... including the US and Britain.

What other solutions are possible, even taking more time to change the situation in Pakistan, or any other country?
jeffcox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 am
Location: England - Brazil

Postby fadi » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:46 pm

this thread must be blocked i think
fadi
 

Postby Danyet » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:14 pm

jeffcox wrote:But anyway, this is politics (forbidden subject) and digresses from the thread's subject.


Actually this subjct, like most important subjects, can be traced all the way to a relgious theme. Every thinking person eventually ponders the question, "Where did i come from?"
and it is how that question is answered that decides how we live our lives.

There are only two possible answers to this question.
1. I made accidently myself. ie Evolution

2. I was created purposely. ie Some kind of Creator.

Each answer will set you on a separate path.

The answer you choose for yourself will determine how you live your life affecting every single decision you make.......! Including politics!







jeffcox wrote:If you were to leave out the idea of military intervention, what other suggestions would you offer?


The answer should be obvious from my opening post. Military intervention can not change peoples customs and religion. Tradition and religion is the real enemy here. The spread of the new religion of Christianity is what civilized all of Europe to the cannibals of New Guinea. It will take the same to civilize these people,too.


jeffcox wrote:If we consider that we have to take action against any country that violates human rights, then almost every country would have to be invaded... including the US and Britain.

To include USA and Britain in your argument is just silly, unless you want to bring USA's treatment of American Indians and British colonialism into it. And that would be silly too because that is not NOW!
User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Location: USA
Status: English Teacher

Postby jeffcox » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:24 am

No, you didn't answer the question of what to do about it.

You mentioned 'do something about their religion'.
But, no suggestion.

Give something more substantial, that can be specified. You have the goal, but you haven't given the means to arrive there. So, what do you suggest?

To include the US and Britain is not silly at all. They are both abusing human rights as we speak - we're not talking about generations ago. So, how can it be silly to include them in the argument? How do we choose which countries should be allowed to commit HR abuses and which ones should be stopped? Not only who chooses, but also how do they choose?
jeffcox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 am
Location: England - Brazil

Postby Admiral » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:04 pm

Raping is so horrible, even here in Germany cowards also rape innocent girls very often. The law must be set harder to punish such guys.
Admiral
 

Postby jeffcox » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:24 am

Admiral, I agree.
Rape happens wherever. It depends on the character of each man. Even where such things are not tollerated, it still happens. It happens much less, but it still happens.

In places where it is 'tollerated' more openly because of various factors it is difficult to combat. But it is somthing that must be defeated by peaceful means. Even if that means a long and difficult struggle.

I think that people have to manifest their disgust at such acts. People from all around the world. Make such countries feel ashamed and through this we can change their customs.
jeffcox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 am
Location: England - Brazil

Postby zaman » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:07 pm

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
User avatar
zaman
Gold Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:20 am
Location: libya
Status: Other

Postby Shazzam » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:18 pm

zaman wrote::!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:


:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Previous

Return to Current News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron