Dogs and Cats

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderator: EC

Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Dogs and Cats

Post by Danyet »

JIDDA, Saudi Arabia -- Saudi Arabia's religious police, normally tasked with chiding women to cover themselves and ensuring men attend mosque prayers, are turning to a new target: cats and dogs.
The police have issued a decree banning the sale of the pets, seen as a sign of Western influence.

The prohibition on dogs may be less of a surprise because conservative Muslims despise dogs as unclean.

But the cat ban befuddled many, since Islamic tradition holds that the Prophet Muhammad loved cats
http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/20 ... -8643r.htm
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

something completely different

Post by LadyMacbeth »

ehm... soon 300 million citizen of US will be born. Do you have any ideas about this subject?
Thank you for sharing them on this noble forum.
:)
LM
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: something completely different

Post by Danyet »

LadyMacbeth wrote:ehm... soon 300 million citizen of US will be born.
Firstly, immigration produced this figure not births.

Secondly, That is off topic!
etan

dogs and cats

Post by etan »

Okay, to me, these animals looks like their owners. For example, I have an english bulldog with a very special nature and I think my bulldog looks like me ! what do you think about it ?
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: dogs and cats

Post by Tora »

etan wrote:Okay, to me, these animals looks like their owners. For example, I have an english bulldog with a very special nature and I think my bulldog looks like me ! what do you think about it ?
Oh, I agree. by the way english bulldogs are one of my favourite!
but I guess danyet's topic is about a bit different from what we're discussing. Trying to follow the rules I just say that it's a deal of tradition. Here dogs are the most wide-spread animals and I'm very excited by this fact!
etan

dogs and cats

Post by etan »

have you got one ? If I could, I would like to have a lot of english bulldogs even if they snore ! :lol:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Nope :( my breed is different. If I could I would have so many dogs... there are too many of them I adore - all stiff-miscled dogs, not that tiny ones who bark 24/7.
etan

dogs and cats

Post by etan »

do you know that it exist an election of the most ugliest (?) dog in the world ?!
wllsp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Dogs and Cats

Post by wllsp »

danyet wrote:JIDDA, Saudi Arabia -- Saudi Arabia's religious police, normally tasked with chiding women to cover themselves and ensuring men attend mosque prayers, are turning to a new target: cats and dogs.
The police have issued a decree banning the sale of the pets, seen as a sign of Western influence.

The prohibition on dogs may be less of a surprise because conservative Muslims despise dogs as unclean.

But the cat ban befuddled many, since Islamic tradition holds that the Prophet Muhammad loved cats
http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/20 ... -8643r.htm
First, this fact just underlines the huge difference between muslims and christians and specifically between their values. It doesn't mean that European values are better or worse than the others. It just means that we are different. And it is just a reason why there are so many people in Europe who resist to accepting Turkey with its huge muslim population in EU. That was my point in this thread http://www.englishclub.com/esl-forums/v ... hp?t=40266

Interestingly, there are some differences in values in USA itself. A black surgeon from Oklahoma who has taught me English once said that for example people in the state of Utah are very different from other Americans due to their religion. So Saudi Arabia is not unique in this world.

And finally, we have another quite controversial ban in Russia on possesing weapon while in the USA it's legal to have a gun. And the Russian police is often of no use.
etan

dogs and cats

Post by etan »

what's going on ?...I thought that it was a topic about dogs and cats, not about religion or maybe I didn't understand...

please, you have to read again the RULES before posting :evil:
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Please don't post about RELIGIONS AND POLITICS. Thanks.

_Arale_