EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

30 killed on Virginia Tech campus

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby MissLT » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:07 pm

I know. I cried so much when I heard his story. He could survive the Holocaust but not this one. How cruel! :cry: :cry:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:56 am

More of him

This guy clearly was sick! I wonder what happened to him back then. Was he abused or molested? :shock:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Shazzam » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:50 am

LennyeTran wrote:More of him

This guy clearly was sick! I wonder what happened to him back then. Was he abused or molested? :shock:

Maybe none of the above Lenny he might just be a sick p.ick???!!! What is really frightening is that everyone thinks that these situations are isolated to US soil, they aren't. You only have to look at what happened in Russia. Personally I think my country is a ticking time bomb for this sort of thing. I have heard stories for years about kids carrying knifes and kids getting stabbed. Just a few years ago a kid bought a arrow gun (don't know the name but they are banned here) over the internet and went to a local high school and shot his girlfriend and another girl through the leg. Two boys at the school tackled him to the ground before he could do anymore damage. It is only a matter of time!

I think the one thing that helps in my country is the strong gun laws we have in place. I know that Danyet will firmly disagree with this as he believes that everyone should carry a gun; just like a mobile phone. For what reason I don't know? Personally I have never needed to feel that insecure. I think s..it happens you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. However having said that I feel the US has a gun happy culture. People weild them around like NIKE shoes in the streets.

It is one thing to say you should have one for protection (which ultimately is stupid) but another to say you should just carry arms for the sake of it. Personally I think the only people that should carry fire arms are the people that are paid and licensed to do so for the protection of others, i.e. police, military, security.

Just my opinion. I think countries like the US have to start cutting back on the sale of guns for private use, plus investigate people further prior to issuing gun licenses (it is an open market).

:twisted:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Danyet » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Personally I think the only people that should carry fire arms are the people that are paid and licensed to do so for the protection of others, i.e. police, military, security.
How is only police having LEGAL guns going to help me? The police only arrive in time to draw white chalk lines around dead bodies. And that is exactly ALL THEY DID AT VIRGINIA TECH. The police did not save even ONE person there!!
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:33 pm

Shazzam wrote:

Maybe none of the above Lenny he might just be a sick p.ick???!!!

The latest news I read said that he was picked on and teased in school

Why he was mean

It's so sad! I kinda felt sorry for him for a bit there. Kids can be really cruel. And I don't know where they picked up those cruel phrases from. :roll:

Shazzam wrote:What is really frightening is that everyone thinks that these situations are isolated to US soil, they aren't. You only have to look at what happened in Russia. Personally I think my country is a ticking time bomb for this sort of thing. I have heard stories for years about kids carrying knifes and kids getting stabbed. Just a few years ago a kid bought a arrow gun (don't know the name but they are banned here) over the internet and went to a local high school and shot his girlfriend and another girl through the leg. Two boys at the school tackled him to the ground before he could do anymore damage. It is only a matter of time!

Exactly! Japan and Vietnam are also another examples, I think. Last time I heard one kid killed himself because he was bullied in school in Japan. And in Vietnam, one kid killed herself because the teacher humiliated her in front of the whole class. I mean, when you think of school, you never thought this kinda thing would happen. The educational area, where students learn to be good people and look what's happened.

Shazzam wrote:I think the one thing that helps in my country is the strong gun laws we have in place. I know that Danyet will firmly disagree with this as he believes that everyone should carry a gun; just like a mobile phone. For what reason I don't know?

Last night we and my uncle debated about this, and I think he got some good points. He said one example: with a crime rate in the US, especially where we live, it'd be more protected if we're allowed to carry guns as a personal protection. It's because there are police in the city to protect the residents; however, what if those bad guys put one house on fire and then went to rob another house while the police and firemen were helping that house? The whole city could have gone chaotic if the citizens couldn't protect themselves.

Shazzam wrote:Personally I have never needed to feel that insecure. I think s..it happens you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. However having said that I feel the US has a gun happy culture. People weild them around like NIKE shoes in the streets.

Not all, though.

Shazzam wrote:It is one thing to say you should have one for protection (which ultimately is stupid) but another to say you should just carry arms for the sake of it. Personally I think the only people that should carry fire arms are the people that are paid and licensed to do so for the protection of others, i.e. police, military, security.

This is why they asked, is it guns that kill people or is it people who kill people?

Shazzam wrote:Just my opinion. I think countries like the US have to start cutting back on the sale of guns for private use, plus investigate people further prior to issuing gun licenses (it is an open market).

:twisted:

But the thing is that when bad people want to get something, there are tons of ways to get it in the black market. So, my concern is, how could we control it, so guns could only be reached to certain kinda people?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby vince90 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:44 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
Shazzam wrote:

But the thing is that when bad people want to get something, there are tons of ways to get it in the black market. So, my concern is, how could we control it, so guns could only be reached to certain kinda people?

Also gun is not the only the option that using to kill people when his mind really turns into evil side. He could use anything such as a home make bomb, a knife, a hammer or a pair of scissors to hurt other people.
vince90
Platinum Member

Postby Danyet » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:05 am

I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.

Therefore, when he went into the store to purchase a gun the check that was done on him to see if he could be trusted with a weapon showed nothing!!

If the people who were responsible for treating his mental illness had all done their jobs he would have been listed as "Unstable" and would have been on a list of people that could not buy a gun. The gun store owner would have seen this list and would not have sold any firearm to him. I'm not sure but I think also that he would have been reported to the police for trying to buy a gun afterwards.
We already have plenty of gun laws, we just need to see that these laws are obeyed properly.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Romantic » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:32 am

First of all I present my condolences to the families who have been lost their lovers, I was totally shocked when I heard the news, no mankind can do such a horrible thing like that , yeah he is a psycho and terrorist, and what happened there because there is no prohibited for using gun, I mean everybody can use it whether with a license or not this is insane.
Romantic
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:45 am

vince90 wrote:
Also gun is not the only the option that using to kill people when his mind really turns into evil side. He could use anything such as a home make bomb, a knife, a hammer or a pair of scissors to hurt other people.

Exactly. My biology teacher once said, even a person who had a high school level of chemistry could be capable of making anthrax to kill bunch of people in a subway. Thankfully we don't have that many crazy psychos out there!
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:51 am

danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.

Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't treated properly. Did his family pull him out of the treatment, or the authority decided that he would be fine afterwards? I mean, it'd be imbecile if they thought he would be fine by himself.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

PreviousNext

Return to Current News