EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

30 killed on Virginia Tech campus

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby Shazzam » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:55 am

danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.

Therefore, when he went into the store to purchase a gun the check that was done on him to see if he could be trusted with a weapon showed nothing!!

If the people who were responsible for treating his mental illness had all done their jobs he would have been listed as "Unstable" and would have been on a list of people that could not buy a gun. The gun store owner would have seen this list and would not have sold any firearm to him. I'm not sure but I think also that he would have been reported to the police for trying to buy a gun afterwards.
We already have plenty of gun laws, we just need to see that these laws are obeyed properly.

I agree! That is what I meant by INVESTIGATION! The people that sell these guns are limited by the information provided I am aware of that. The laws need to be looked at!!! :twisted:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Danyet » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:47 am

LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:I think that the biggest failure here is that the records that showed that he was dangerous were ignored by a judge, who refused to have him treated in a state hospital. This was even after psychologists had said that he was dangerous to the public.

Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't treated properly. Did his family pull him out of the treatment, or the authority decided that he would be fine afterwards? I mean, it'd be imbecile if they thought he would be fine by himself.

Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Shazzam » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:19 pm

danyet wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:

Yeah, I wonder why he wasn't treated properly. Did his family pull him out of the treatment, or the authority decided that he would be fine afterwards? I mean, it'd be imbecile if they thought he would be fine by himself.

Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.

Yeh but think about it?? Suicidal is different from HOMICIDAL!!! It is hear-say! You can't go with that.
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:54 pm

Although the two terms are different, the guy clearly had some mental disorders that led him to commit suicide. His problems shouldn't have been ignored.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:59 pm

danyet wrote:Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.

His parents? They came out to talk? :shock: Last time, I read some news and it said they committed suicide after hearing about what their son did. And I know his sister has been in hiding. According to what I've heard from the news I have to say, what a strange family!
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Danyet » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:11 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:Actually I heard today that his parents has already warned the School that their son was suicidal.

His parents? They came out to talk? :shock: Last time, I read some news and it said they committed suicide after hearing about what their son did. And I know his sister has been in hiding. According to what I've heard from the news I have to say, what a strange family!
No! I haven't heard the parents but I heard on a national radio talk program that they warned the school.
Can you imagine being that creeps room mate? I
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:29 pm

All his roommates survived, so I guess they didn't bug him that much. And how did they know the parents warned the school? :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Danyet » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:26 am

Don't know Lenny Babe. Just heard the talk show guy say it! You will have to do a google and then tell me.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:59 am

They finally came out today!

"Our family is so very sorry for my brother's unspeakable actions. It is a terrible tragedy for all of us," said Sun-Kyung Cho, a 2004 Princeton University graduate who works as a contractor for a State Department office that oversees American aid for
Iraq.

"We pray for their families and loved ones who are experiencing so much excruciating grief. And we pray for those who were injured and for those whose lives are changed forever because of what they witnessed and experienced," she said. "Each of these people had so much love, talent and gifts to offer, and their lives were cut short by a horrible and senseless act."

"We are humbled by this darkness. We feel hopeless, helpless and lost. This is someone that I grew up with and loved. Now I feel like I didn't know this person," Cho's sister said. "We have always been a close, peaceful and loving family. My brother was quiet and reserved, yet struggled to fit in. We never could have envisioned that he was capable of so much violence."

They finally commented
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:03 am

Hmmm... I kinda doubt about the part a close family. They didn't sound close to me. I mean, the news said his roommates never saw any of his family members visited him. That's not how a close family should act. :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

PreviousNext

Return to Current News