EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby pawstvih » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:35 am

Today I am very angry :evil:
I have wasted my money buying the most disgusting book I have ever read: "Signora da Vinci" by Robin Maxwell.
It is the apotheosis of banality and some people call it: "an historical book!!!"
pawstvih
Silver Member

Postby Duccini » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 am

The last one was The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are, by Alan Watts. Here's a quote:

“Peace can be made only by those who are peaceful, and love can be shown only by those who love. No work of love will flourish out of guilt, fear, or hollowness of heart, just as no valid plans for the future can be made by those who have no capacity for living now.”

Before that I read George Martin's Clash of Kings.

Lara wrote:the last book i read was "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, i advise u to read it :-)

Wow, this one's great. Huxley's Doors of Perception/Heaven and Hell is worth reading too.
Duccini

Postby Dmitriy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Charlotte Bronte "Jane Eyre"
Dmitriy

Postby Elisa » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 am

The New Quantum Age:From Bell's Theorem to Quantum Computation and Teleportation
Andrew Whitaker
Elisa
Gold Member

Postby robaczka » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:44 am

Last time I read "In cold blood" Truman Capote... I read the book in polish translate, I started do read oryginal... I love that book!
robaczka

Postby Loreley » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:12 am

Hello Booksworms,

this weekend I finished „Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer. By the way … I read it the third time and I like it very much – it is a very tragic story. It tells a lot about of dreams of everyone of us, but the guy of the story tried to live his dreams and failed because of the reality.

Lena
Loreley

Postby Elisa » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:09 am

I am reading " Lettera a una Chiesa che ha dimenticato Gesù".
It is a pity that we cannot find this book in English.

E.Olmi writes how religion must be Joy and serenity. Beliving in another life after death has to give us the power to go on and be generous and understanding with neighbor.
Elisa
Gold Member

Postby Elisa » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:06 pm

I have to recommend DEATH OF A SUPERHERO by Anthony MacCarten. It is not a new book but I have discovered it only now :-)
It’s a very special book although it is very simple (for teenagers?). I am reading it in Italian language but I want to buy it also in English. I think there is a lot to learn about new words and a new way to write.
This book tells the story of a terminally ill boy from adolescent and adult perspectives. Don’t worry it isn’t a sad, bore, weepy book!
Death of a Superhero includes comic dynamism, cinematic scene changes, and passages of calm, emotionally intensive narration.
You will read it in a night
Elisa
Gold Member

Postby JuanitoC » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:18 am

Just finishing reading mine classic Cozy Chilling Bedtime Stories by P. Gibey. Love the reading all the time, have read it for 3times now yet still exciting!!!
JuanitoC

Postby Elisa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:05 pm

I’ve finished just now to read “Inferno” (Hell) by Dan Brown.
It is a thriller.
Telling the true I have found it a little boring and overfull of information given just to give .

What I can say about this book is that, if you have never visited Venezia and Firenze, after its reading you will start to save money to have a trip there.
Elisa
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors