EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby serenella » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:11 pm

Marzieh wrote:The latest book I read was Al-quimista by Pauolo Coelho.

Have you read the last book by Paulo Coelho 'The Zahir'?
It's one of the latest books I read and I think it's the best one among all those written by him.
serenella
Gold Member

Postby illusion » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:27 pm

serenella wrote:
Marzieh wrote:The latest book I read was Al-quimista by Pauolo Coelho.

Have you read the last book by Paulo Coelho 'The Zahir'?
It's one of the latest books I read and I think it's the best one among all those written by him.

Oh I read the Zahir!!! I even made a post about it earlier but no one never replied so I guess not many people apart from us read it. But to be honest it's not my favourite Coehlo's book. I love the one ''Demon and Miss Prym'' or something like that...
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby pob » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:25 pm

illusion wrote: I love the one ''Demon and Miss Prym'' or something like that...

What makes you love that book? It was so boring for me... I can't understand your love :)

I have read several books by Paulo Cohelo and I don't find them very interesting. I don't think he deserves the success he has achieved in selling his books.
On the other hand, I find his work in non-literature based works very interesting. :wink:
pob
Silver Member

Postby pob » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:34 pm

I bought "Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy" in Moscow... I can't read Russian books yet, but I bought some children books in Russian :D

So that's the book I'm reading now. A dictionary... but it's quite interesting, and I learn an average of 10 words a page.
pob
Silver Member

Postby Pinay » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:31 am

I've just read "Thick Face, Black Heart". It explains a bit about how to apply Chinese Philisophy to our daily struggles with Life.
I appreciate the explanation about 'allowing your dharma to unfold...' Before reading this book, I was such a driven personality. I had to set out the plans, map out the strategy, and prepare for the next battle. That is how I viewed life... and my career. Now, I simply plant the seeds and watch them unfurl their leaves. I allow my dharma to reveal itself to me. But I'm still new to this way of thinking so I have to consciously tell myself to pause, walk or meander for a while. Meandering can be pleasant (I'm learning), especially when I'm having a cup of good coffee and puffing on my slim capri cigarette from the small balcony of my little house.
The eternal student. There is much to learn, discover and talk about.
Pinay
Silver Member

Postby Pinay » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:35 am

pob wrote:
illusion wrote: I love the one ''Demon and Miss Prym'' or something like that...

What makes you love that book? It was so boring for me... I can't understand your love :)

I have read several books by Paulo Cohelo and I don't find them very interesting. I don't think he deserves the success he has achieved in selling his books.
On the other hand, I find his work in non-literature based works very interesting. :wink:

I love the way he uses simplicity with words to illustrate the most profound truths in life. Take for example the "crystal shop owner' who dreams of going on a pilgrimage to Mecca but remains in his store from year to year. This from his cult classic "The Alchemist". Maybe you have to read Coelho again and deeply...this time.
Pinay
Silver Member

Postby pob » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:46 am

Pinay wrote:I love the way he uses simplicity with words to illustrate the most profound truths in life. Take for example the "crystal shop owner' who dreams of going on a pilgrimage to Mecca but remains in his store from year to year. This from his cult classic "The Alchemist". Maybe you have to read Coelho again and deeply...this time.

The most profound truths in life are not so profound, they are very simple, like life is.
You people make them profound by closing your eyes to them and so you need to read books like those by Coelho to open your eyes. :evil:

There is no deeply reading of Coelho, there is no deeply reading of our lives, everything is simple, you only have to open your eyes.
pob
Silver Member

Postby Pinay » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:00 am

If you don't like Coelho, then you don't. But "People like you, blah... blah...blah.." is a sweeping statement isn't it? And a bit hostile? This wasn't an attack on you at all. It was meant to inspire a pleasant discussion. Or debate.
Pinay
Silver Member

Postby pob » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:03 pm

Pinay wrote:If you don't like Coelho, then you don't. But "People like you, blah... blah...blah.." is a sweeping statement isn't it? And a bit hostile? This wasn't an attack on you at all. It was meant to inspire a pleasant discussion. Or debate.

I like Coelho, I don't like his books.

I haven't said "People like you, ..." but something different... but, oh, I remember you are not good at reading, so you find something to be read in Coelho's books :)

It was no hostile, but this time I allow myself to be a bit sarcastic :wink: don't get angry please.

You want to debate? Tell me why do you see truths so profound... why? Truths are so simple...

On the other hand you can love the way he expresses ideas by writting, and I can agree with you or accept that opinion since I don't care very much about stiles...
but please, is there any deeply reading?? You can find deeply readings in other writters, but in Coelho... please!! :lol:

If Coelho is for deeply reading, then we need a skin-diver suit to read books like, for instance, "Those spoke Zaratustra".

But on the other hand I'm open to debate, if I can participate... it was long time ago that I read Coelho's books... :?
You can help me with my English by telling me my mistakes in a private message. Thanks :)
pob
Silver Member

Postby Pinay » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:54 am

pob wrote:
Pinay wrote:If you don't like Coelho, then you don't. But "People like you, blah... blah...blah.." is a sweeping statement isn't it? And a bit hostile? This wasn't an attack on you at all. It was meant to inspire a pleasant discussion. Or debate.

I like Coelho, I don't like his books.

I haven't said "People like you, ..." but something different... but, oh, I remember you are not good at reading, so you find something to be read in Coelho's books :)

It was no hostile, but this time I allow myself to be a bit sarcastic :wink: don't get angry please.

You want to debate? Tell me why do you see truths so profound... why? Truths are so simple...

On the other hand you can love the way he expresses ideas by writting, and I can agree with you or accept that opinion since I don't care very much about stiles...
but please, is there any deeply reading?? You can find deeply readings in other writters, but in Coelho... please!! :lol:

If Coelho is for deeply reading, then we need a skin-diver suit to read books like, for instance, "Those spoke Zaratustra".

But on the other hand I'm open to debate, if I can participate... it was long time ago that I read Coelho's books... :?

I'm not angry. I don't think I know you well enough to be angry. But I accept that you don't like his style and that's the end of it I guess. And I agree that truths are profound in their simplicity.
Pinay
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors