EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Quran

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Who have read this book?

Postby kind_heart » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:18 am

The Challenge Of The Qur'aan

Literature and poetry have been instruments of human expression and creativity, in all cultures. The world also witnessed an age when literature and poetry occupied pride of position, similar to that now enjoyed by science and technology.

Muslims as well as non-Muslims agree that Al-Qur’aan is Arabic literature par excellence - that it is the best Arabic literature on the face of the earth. The Qur’aan, challenges mankind in the following verses:

And if ye are in doubt As to what We have revealed From time to time to Our Servant, then produce a Soorah Like thereunto; And call your witnesses or helpers (If there are any) besides Allah, If your (doubts) are true. But if ye cannot –And of a surety you cannot. hen fear the Fire Whose fuel is Men and Stones – Which is prepared for those Who reject Faith.
[Al-Qur’aan 2:23-24]

(Al-Qur’an 2:23-24 indicates Soorah or Chapter No. 2 and Ayaat or Verses 23 and 24.)

The same notation is followed throughout the book. References and translation of the Qur’aan are from the translation of the Qur’aan by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, new revised edition, 1989, published by Amana Corporation, Maryland, USA.

The challenge of the Qur’aan, is to produce a single Soorah (chapter) like the Soorahs it contains. The same challenge is repeated in the Qur’aan several times. The challenge to produce a Soorah, which, in beauty, eloquence, depth and meaning is at least somewhat similar to a Qur’aanic Soorah remains unmet to this day. A modern rational man, however, would never accept a religious scripture, which says, in the best possible poetic language, that the world is flat. This is because we live in an age, where human reason, logic and science are given primacy. Not many would accept the Qur’aan’s extraordinarily beautiful language, as proof of its Divine origin. Any scripture claiming to be a divine revelation must also be acceptable on the strength of its own reason and logic.

According to the famous physicist and Nobel Prize winner, Albert Einstein, “Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.” Let us therefore study the Qur’aan, and analyze whether The Qur’aan and Modern Science are compatible or incompatible?
The Qur’aan is not a book of science but a book of ‘signs’, i.e. ayats. There are more than six thousand ‘signs’ in the Qur’aan of which more than a thousand deal with science. We all know that many a times Science takes a ‘U-turn’. In this book I have considered only established scientific facts and not mere hypotheses and theories that are based on assumptions and are not backed by proof.
kind_heart
Silver Member

Quran

Postby RedRose » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:47 pm

I bought a book Quran from bookstore today. it is english version. it is a wonderful book!

I have to say, it is a magic book. I am not a Muslim, and at the beginning, I read Quran just because of curiosity. but now I am so infatuated with this book!

I wonder why Arabian acient people could predict so many things!
RedRose

Postby juhainah » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:25 pm

It made me pleased that u became infatuated with Quran. I am an Arab and Muslim girl. Of course, the more you know about Islam, the more infatuated with it you will be. Islam is the religion of justice, happiness, chastity, truth, clarity, sincerity, altruism, and mercy. :)
juhainah
Gold Member

Postby RedRose » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:09 pm

But an Arabian guy told me, Quran of english version isn't as authentic as the Arabic one. maybe that is just a matter of translation. any work will become kinda different after it is translated in the other language.
RedRose

Postby juhainah » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:44 am

Anyway, I haven't read the translation of the meaning of Quran, but as you said, it is maybe different as they only translate the meaning of the Quran cuz it has to go this way. By the way, u made me curious to read the English version.
juhainah
Gold Member

Postby RedRose » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:29 am

juhainah wrote:Anyway, I haven't read the translation of the meaning of Quran, but as you said, it is maybe different as they only translate the meaning of the Quran cuz it has to go this way. By the way, u made me curious to read the English version.

after you read Quran's english version, you will think the Arabic version better :D I guess
RedRose

Postby juhainah » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:49 am

I'll try to find the English version in order to know how it is like. You know what, this subject is driving me to think of the translation of Arabic Texts into English which is more difficult than the reverse.
juhainah
Gold Member

Postby RedRose » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:49 am

you mean, to translate, Arabic---English is more difficult than English ----Arabic?

anyway, this english version is very wonderful. the translator must be an english professor!

In Quran, there are many verses, each of which describes a story. some stories are so mysterious and profound.
RedRose

Postby juhainah » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:59 pm

you mean, to translate, Arabic---English is more difficult than English ----Arabic?

EXACTLY!

anyway, this english version is very wonderful. the translator must be an english professor!

WOULD U MIND TELLING ME HIS NAME. PLZ?

In Quran, there are many verses, each of which describes a story. some stories are so mysterious and profound.

ACTUALLY, QURAN HAS MANY STORIES. EACH OF WHICH HAS A MESSAGE.
juhainah
Gold Member

Postby RedRose » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:19 pm

juhainah wrote:[

WOULD U MIND TELLING ME HIS NAME. PLZ?

the translator's name is D.S. Sucec, whose english is nearly as good as yours! juhainah!

Maybe I should learn some Arabic, u know what? my Arabic is very poor, I just know 123456789 in Arabic :cry: :cry:
RedRose

Next

Return to Books & Authors