Who is your favourite author?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Laxuan

Post by Laxuan »

to me, Jule Verl is the best author because his story mention about not only scientific event but also real life such as 80 days around the world,2000 miles under the sea and so on
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Who is your favourite author?

Post by Cypress »

_Arale_ wrote:I admire many authors and Jack London is my most favourite author. I specially like his style, a bit wild, a bit bitter, a bit cold...All senses are combined in his novels. The call of the wild gives me the greatest impression.
I am a big Jack London fan too. Martin Eden is my favorite novel.
I visited Jack London ranch in Glen Ellen, California last year. It was so awesome to see where the great man lived and worked.

When I was younger, I enjoyed reading Alexander Dumas, Jules Verne, Robert Louis Stevenson, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Agatha Christie.

Now, when I am older and far away from my native country, I take great pleasure in reading Russian writers such as Tolstoy, Gogol, Pushkin, Dostoevskiy, and others.

There is one book that I really want to read. It is Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes Saavedra. I was forced to read it in the seventh grade, and I just hated it. But I think I might actually enjoy it now.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

My favorite recent book is The Glass Castle...by Jeannette Walls...you can find it in Amazon.com, barely used, for a great price and it is amazing for the true story of a poor american family. Although it is incredibly odd the family is not all that unusual in this quirky country. Her parents were not quite right in the head, her mom fairly nuts and her dad was a major alcoholic. The writer had a very rough childhood but she takes you in and you understand how it made her the strong woman she becomes. :wink: I cant wait for more stories from this woman/author....maybe you will check it out!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

tikay wrote:My favorite recent book is The Glass Castle...by Jeannette Walls...you can find it in Amazon.com, barely used, for a great price and it is amazing for the true story of a poor american family. Although it is incredibly odd the family is not all that unusual in this quirky country. Her parents were not quite right in the head, her mom fairly nuts and her dad was a major alcoholic. The writer had a very rough childhood but she takes you in and you understand how it made her the strong woman she becomes. :wink: I cant wait for more stories from this woman/author....maybe you will check it out!
Wow that sounds really interesting :!:
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

It is an incredible read...the girl went through nearly freezing for a few winters because the moneys were spent on alcohol insted of heating the home during the snows/cold of some winters...also the children nearly starved to death too... while the parents told them that their life was pretty good and such, the story is just tragic but very very interesting because the parents were also sort of intelligent...just very neglectful/abusive....her brother slept under a raft for like two years to avoid a leak in his room during rains....things like that.
Ksju

Post by Ksju »

Hemingway.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

W.S. Maughem (love him! Moon and Sixpence and Theatre and his stories and the less known and rather rare - can't find in book-shops - Summing up (i've got it)... awesome)

Jack Keroac (the aithour i'm reading at the moment, absolutely delited, tasty literature, like good cup of coffee, admire every minute...)

V. Nabokov (unique... talented and russian, can praise him realy long)

S. Dovlatov (you may know him i guess, writer of the third-wave of emigration, lived in L.A., adore his masterpieces, witty...)

E-M. Remarque (no need to say why i love his books...)
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Laxuan wrote:to me, Jule Verl is the best author because his story mention about not only scientific event but also real life such as 80 days around the world,2000 miles under the sea and so on

I think it is "Leagues" under the Sea, darling not miles which in this case...nevermind, it is fantasy after all. I like this book too i had forgotten it for quite a while.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Hi! thanks I like Gabriel too. Welcome to the forum!
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

ozzy wrote:My favourite author is Gabriel Garcia Marquez(GABO). I definetly recommend reading his books. If you want to more information about him, you can visit the web site.

http://www.themodernword.com/gabo/
I've read No One Writes to the Colonel. It was so sad. It is one of the most heartbreaking stories I’ve ever read. I felt so sorry for the colonel, and I hoped he will get his pension :(
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

ozzy wrote: Cypress, I feel so bad :( . I wrote "Gabo is my favourite author". I read a lot of books of him but I have not read "No One Writes to the Colonel" yet. I will read it when I free. bye
Oh, don’t feel bad, but tell us why you like this author so much. Is he from your native country? Or do you just like his writing style? Or maybe you’re interested in the subjects he writes about.