EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

dan brown

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Re: reply to Dixie

Postby Dixie » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:08 am

I am looking at things differently too... you know... The other day I was chatting with my bf on msn and he sent one of those animations... It was a heart prosecuted by a sword... and I said "That is it... The chalice and the blade... feminine and masculine". He thought I was nuts :D
User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
 
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Catalunya
Status: English Teacher

hey

Postby tikay » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:34 pm

the more we allow ourselves to be completely honest...with some tact of course, the better...i dont care how nuts I appear to be because I have found out what i am made of by finally becoming a genuine person... coming from a place where I used to act a whole lot...hiding my feelings. I like this better, being authentic...even if it costs me an image I used to try to keep. I am pretty nuts sometimes and sometimes I am just not ...but then so is everyone else so I guess that is life. :)
I like what you said about reading a symbol to something and the boyfriend just not getting it though...they rarely get my symbologies and I usually have to explain where I am coming from but they bother at least to listen...all ten of them HAHAHAH! :lol: (just kidding)
tikay
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Postby MissLT » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:22 am

'Da Vinci Code' Author Accused in London

Wow, I wonder who will win the case.... :shock:
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby Dixie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:16 am

(...)the scheduled May 19 release of "The Da Vinci Code" film starring Tom Hanks and Ian McKellan could be threatened.

Noooooooooooooo!!!! :cry: That's going to be my birthday present... The movie... hope everything turns out well for Brown. I never thought he borrowed the information illegally.

"Brown copied from 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail'

I haven't read The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail yet (but I intend to) but I am not sure Brown "copied" from there. He just took some information and wrote a novel. I really don't see what the fuss is all about (although, I repeat, I can't make judgements since I haven't read the other book) but Brown's a novel and the other one's an essay about the research of its authors.

Mmmmmmm. Maybe they are jealous their book wasn't a best-seller :?
User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
 
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Catalunya
Status: English Teacher

Postby MissLT » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:27 am

I've watched a documentary about the DaVinci code, and they did mention something about the holy blood and the holy grail. That book came way before the da vinci code. That's why they said he's stealing their work. I'll check for this info again.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby Dixie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:34 am

LennyeTran wrote:I've watched a documentary about the DaVinci code, and they did mention something about the holy blood and the holy grail. That book came way before the da vinci code. That's why they said he's stealing their work. I'll check for this info again.


I downloaded a documentary about it not long ago. The authors of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail talked about their book and The Da Vinci Code, and other authors as well. They didn't seem very happy with Brown's novel. I remember one of them talking about the postures of Christ and Mary Magdalene in Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" and saying something like "...which we first pointed out, not Mr. Brown".

I don't see what the fuss is all about anyway. I'm going to get The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail so I can figure out. I never thought both books could be compared. The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is the result of an exhaustive research, whereas Brown's just a fictional novel based on that info.

I guess they also want their share of the cake :twisted:
User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
 
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Catalunya
Status: English Teacher

Postby MissLT » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:55 am

Dixie wrote: I don't see what the fuss is all about anyway. I'm going to get The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail so I can figure out. I never thought both books could be compared. The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is the result of an exhaustive research, whereas Brown's just a fictional novel based on that info.

I guess they also want their share of the cake :twisted:

That book is boooooring. No one cared to read it. I bet not many knew about it if it's not related to the Da Vinci code. :roll:
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:03 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Blood,_Holy_Grail

But most recently, author Dan Brown in his bestseller The Da Vinci Code (2003), makes reference to this book, also liberally using most of the above claims as key plot elements; indeed, Baigent and Leigh are suing Brown's publisher, Random House, for plagiarism, on the grounds that his book makes extensive use of their research and that one of the characters is named Leigh, has a surname (Teabing) which is an anagram of Baigent, and has a physical description strongly resembling Henry Lincoln. In the book Brown also mentions Holy Blood, Holy Grail as an acclaimed international bestseller (chapter 60) and claims it as the major contributor to his hypothesis. (copied from the link above)

:lol: :lol: I wonder if that part is serious.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby Dixie » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:40 am

LennyeTran wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Blood,_Holy_Grail

But most recently, author Dan Brown in his bestseller The Da Vinci Code (2003), makes reference to this book, also liberally using most of the above claims as key plot elements; indeed, Baigent and Leigh are suing Brown's publisher, Random House, for plagiarism, on the grounds that his book makes extensive use of their research and that one of the characters is named Leigh, has a surname (Teabing) which is an anagram of Baigent, and has a physical description strongly resembling Henry Lincoln. In the book Brown also mentions Holy Blood, Holy Grail as an acclaimed international bestseller (chapter 60) and claims it as the major contributor to his hypothesis. (copied from the link above)

:lol: :lol: I wonder if that part is serious.


There is a Leigh Teabing in the novel, who by the way plays a crucial role :D

I still think they just want money.
User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
 
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Catalunya
Status: English Teacher

Postby MissLT » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:42 am

It's funny to me how they use those as their evidence.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests