EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

books ain't worth readin

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

books ain't worth readin

Postby illusion » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:36 pm

hey. have any of you read a dead boring book that couldn't be bothered to fnish it? I bet there's loads of us.. so which books do you particualry dislike?
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby trinity19 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:56 pm

the most boring book i've ever read is "contraban" by josep pla. he is a catalan author and he is very well-known here so i was ashamed i dislike him so much hehe. at least i'm not the only one that thinks he's boring!
trinity19
Silver Member

Postby serenella » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:02 pm

'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad.
I guess that many of you like it, but I think it's too sad and pessimistic and it' so slow...
serenella
Gold Member

Postby illusion » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:15 pm

serenella wrote:'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad.
I guess that many of you like it, but I think it's too sad and pessimistic and it' so slow...

yeah 'Heart of the Darkness'' would be my choice as well. I couldn't believe when I found out that Joseph Condrad in fact was a polish writer who wrote in english....
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:43 pm

trinity19 wrote:the most boring book i've ever read is "contraban" by josep pla. he is a catalan author and he is very well-known here so i was ashamed i dislike him so much hehe. at least i'm not the only one that thinks he's boring!

Shame on you!!!! :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :D

I've never read anything by him so I can't judge anyway :D

Shame on me!!!!!!!!!!
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Dixie » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:47 pm

serenella wrote:'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad.

I had to read it in college, and couldn't finish it. I found it soooooooooo dead boring!

Right now I am reading a book called The villa of mysteries, by David Hewson (had never heard about him before). I started reading the book eagerly, but it has disappointed me. I am trying to finish it because there are just about 90 pages left but it's becoming such a hard task! I find that book so boring... I am forcing myself to read, and that's not good, but I just want to finish it.

Oh, other novels I couldn't finish was Price and Prejudice by Jane Austen and master Dickens's Great Expectations :!: :!: I am really embarrassed to recognize that, but I found them boring as well :roll: I guess I should re-start them again and with more passion, it's so sad for an English philologist not to like those great English classics :roll:
Dixie

Postby pob » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:39 pm

James, William. Pragmatism: A New Name for Some Old Ways of Thinking. 1907

I guess if this book can be interesting for anyone (in the XXI century)... I think even those studying philosophy would become bored to death after reading this book.
pob
Silver Member

Postby Goronman » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:36 am

Personally, I tried to finish Italian tales by Henry James but I can't help falling asleep each time I read it :? His style is so horrible and nothing never happens :!:

Bye
Goronman
Goronman
Silver Member

Postby Dixie » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:56 am

Goronman wrote:Personally, I tried to finish Italian tales by Henry James but I can't help falling asleep each time I read it :? His style is so horrible and nothing never happens :!:

I never heard about that title by H. James. I've got The Portrait of a Lady and I found it dull as well, but I guess that's because I forced myself to read it. I like having important classics in my personal library and of course to be familiar with them, and that's why I read those novels, but sometimes I just can't help it; forcing oneself to read is really hard work :roll:
Dixie

Postby serenella » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:56 am

And what about Joyce's Ulysses?
I like it very much, it's a great work, but many people list it among boring books...
serenella
Gold Member

Next

Return to Books & Authors