your favourite literature-hero:)

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Seafarer
Rising Star
Rising Star

heroo!

Post by Seafarer »

:roll: uhmm i think it is not an easy question even if it seems easy! At these days, my hero is Fanny Price from Mansfield Park by Jane Austen.!
Although most of the people don't like introvert girls, she displays a real wisdom example for me :P
She continues to be the part of her own world,even if she lives in a more different place than she used to live.I call this as "real resistence" against isolation :lol:
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hi:)

Post by LadyMacbeth »

I know Jane Austin very little but I think she was a PERFECT psychologist without even realizing it and naming it. Thus her books are so interesting as deals psychological descriptions. She was lso honest - noone is ideal - was her message - but some people are obviously wiser than others. So money was always the most important factor in her books and then good manners. But the social circles where action of her books took place was rather limited.
And all in all I still prefer Elvira Elliot. Really.
Everyone in her circle reads detective stories!
That's much more interesting.
:)
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

ps.

Post by LadyMacbeth »

I would like to add to my post are two error corrections:
1....She was also honest...
2....were rather limited...

Besides I have to admit that Elvira Eliot is much better than Elisabeth Bennet. She is more intelligent than Hudson and his boss Sir Reginald!
Now she is in hospital and everyone visits her giving her new detective stories to read. But in the same time the same people are almost indignant and mostly surprised that someone from their professional circle reads this ~ at all!
What a hypocrisy, isn't it?
What I also read in this particular series is one situation that seems to me almost immpossible in reality though who knows? For me - totally immpossible but...
Well, Elvira Elliot spends holidays and Europe (on continent) and has car twice as good as Hudson. Hudson has a housekeeper who like Elvira very much and horrible boss... where does he spend his holidays? In Scotland Yard I think. So still 1:0 for Elvira as it seems to me:)

Soon other interesting observations about my favourite heroes:)
By the way I think that I will buy two other books in the series cause I like it very much.
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

last corrections

Post by LadyMacbeth »

1. What I would like to add to my earlier post are ...
2. Elvira Elliot spends holidays in Europe ...
3. housekeeper who likes Elvira very much ...
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Well, yesterday I finished reading the book after Maugham - Of Human Bondage and I feel like I know who's my favourite literature hero - Mr. Cronshaw - the poet Philip met in Paris. It really seems to be so this days
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

next letter in this series

Post by LadyMacbeth »

WHO SHOULD PLAY DRACULA ROLE?

In "Vampire Chase" - next book in the series about Mr Hudson, Elvia Elliot and some other nice people I read such piece:

" (...)
- Tell me, Mr Ratcliff, who is plaiyng the role of Dracula in your new film?
- Oh, a fantastic American actor called Guy Van Fang. Imagine, that's his real name. For that reason alone he's perfect for the part."

Miss Paddington ( my reminder-Hudson's housekeeper who loves reading detective stories and tried to match Hudson and Elliot) ) took a cautious sip of tea from the plastic cup. It seemed just as tasteless to her as the idea of an American playing the role of Count Dracula.

-An American? In the role of the count?
Ratcliff shrugged his shoulders.
-Oh, nobody will notice the difference. nd anyway, we have employed a special speech coach to teach Guy how to speak with a real British accent.
(...)"

In my opinion Hudson's housekeeper jumps two levels higher in the hierarchy of my personal everlasting contest for a person who can be my favourite literature hero/heroine because of the sentece about tasteless idea.

PS. In my opinion only someone from Transylvania should play Dracula count sucking blood from some people in London.
What do you think?
Hahaha:)
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hey,

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Truly speaking I have never been to interested in books like "Gone with a wind". Don't know why. Just not my cup of tea :(

But what I would like to underline is the sentence from a fragment above:
".....(she) took a cautious sip of tea from the plastic cup".

Probably I could be a detective. Is it difficult to drink tea cautiously?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

correction of errrors

Post by LadyMacbeth »

too interested
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

LadyMacbeth wrote:Probably I could be a detective. Is it difficult to drink tea cautiously?
Perhaps she expected the tea to be very hot? :shock:
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hmmm

Post by LadyMacbeth »

We don't know it. But I think that such way of behaviour can trace that we are dealing with rather intelligent person. And to me no doubt Miss Padington belonged to this (rather rare) race of human beings.

To finish with, I think it is so stunning that ordinary housekeepers can shame great earls and ladies with their common sense and healthy thinking.

So thanks God 2+2 still makes 4. At least in some good books.