EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

The Historian

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:28 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Have you read this interview, Dixie?

An Interview with Elizabeth Kostova at Amazon

Thanks!!! :D
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby MissLT » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:35 pm

Last time, I read the book at night, and I got scared that I threw it away. Last week, I re-read it again since I couldn't get it out of my mind. This time I had to read it in the mornings or during lunchbreaks at work. Then I searched it online for its historical facts. It's quite interesting that they have a picture of Order of the Dragon at wikipedia. It looks similar to what I've imagined.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:37 pm

Come on, the book wasn't that scary! :lol:
Dixie

Postby MissLT » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:41 pm

It is so! The librarians, the man on the train, the bites, etc. The living undead? That's just scary. I'm scared of the idea of a living thing is forever lives.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Tora » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:17 am

Wandering in the bookshop guess what I have found?? the Historian and I couldn't help buying it! Oh, yes, Sirs and Madam I will be reading it very soon! :wink:

it's in Russian as here books in original are 4-5 times more expensive than translated ones! :(
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Tora » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:32 am

Elba wrote:Dixie,

I bought it today. It is incredible the cost that mexicans have to pay for the culture.
The spanish translation of the book has a costo of 300 mexican pesos (almost 30 dollars), but the english version is 120 mexican pesos (a little more than 10 dollars).
Of course I bought it in english.

so weird! going back to my previous post - In Mexico books in English are cheaper than translated, here in Moscow it's vice versa! :?

Sure there are cheap books but if you want a best-selling book in a picturesque cover, high-quality of pages you should pay for it :P English and American classics is rather cheap but on the whole... for a sample of Bridget Jones: the edge of reason I should pay $18 when it's not more than $5 :o translated
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:43 pm

Tora I'm sure you're gonna love this book too :D
Dixie

Postby Tora » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:38 pm

I have started reading it today - can't put it down - read it everywhere - really eager to read it till the end as soon as possible but it hardly seems to be like a real masterpiece among the novels. I like it an a way I liked The code - it's extremely interesting due to the plot and the narration, but it's a page-turner, anyhow I appreciate you guys here share your impression concerning the books you read - that one is really good. thanks! :wink:
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:02 pm

It took me three weeks to read the last chapter. The letters were too long in general. :(
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Tora » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:44 pm

LennyeTran wrote:It took me three weeks to read the last chapter. The letters were too long in general. :(

I agree, coming to an end I began thinking that Mz Kostova had forgotten what to write about professor's daughter and her boy-friend, but on the whole it's okay. I bet they will shoot a movie in some years or so.

actually I'm really fed up with her ponting her finger and telling too bad about soviet union 'cos only Hardi has my personal permission to point his finger at us :wink: :D

by the way there is a huge article about Vlad Tepes in wikipedia
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors