EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

"Jane Eyre"

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

"Jane Eyre"

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:21 pm

Hi again:)

I hope you all are very happy to read me again after a long, long break:)

Well... today I have finished to read READER LEVEL 2 about the story of Jane Eyre.

Have you also read this book?

What do you think about Jane Eyre? Wasn't she dangerously in love at the end of this book?

But did she have any dignity that she wanted to marry a man who was a bigamist in fact and then he became a crippled person.

All in all she was a rich woman and could do whatever she wanted.

Your ideas?
:)
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:23 pm

I read it in college, about 7 years ago. I think I should read it again and try to find the symbolism by myself though, since I can hardly remember...
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby MissLT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:24 pm

The book is nice although Jane did seem lost to me.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

hello Dixie and Lennie,

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:28 pm

Symbolism of Jane Eyre? Well... it sounds higly interesting... . However I think she really could find someone ...more interesting than Mr Rochester who didn't tell her that the kid whom she tutored was his own:( What a pitiful guy!:(
:roll: :roll: :roll:
But of course it is only my humble opinion.

Well girls. Nice to meet you again. Don't cut me too often, please:)

LM
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:32 pm

There are not many men the author gave for Jane. Maybe she's trying to say it's the same with life. Either you end up with a religious and conservative or a half-assed liar. Pick your choice.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

dear Lennye,

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Well... it is difficult to say how many boy friends Jane Eyre could have if she didn't fall into love with Mr Rochester.

In my simplified version I read she had a cousin who pulled her hair and thus she left home and started to learn to be a teacher in future. She didn't have parents. Another cousin of her was a clergyman - it wasn't written there if he was better towards her than her first cousin who made her leaving home.

You know - in such books like "Jane Eyre" everything is about money or beauty. She had been simply too poor to be Rocherster's wife before she got a will after her lonely, rich uncle. Then Rochester's bad wife died and they could marry.

But was she wise marrying this Rochester? It was written he was almost blind.
:(
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Re: dear Lennye,

Postby MissLT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:47 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:In my simplified version I read she had a cousin who pulled her hair and thus she left home and started to learn to be a teacher in future. She didn't have parents. Another cousin of her was a clergyman - it wasn't written there if he was better towards her than her first cousin who made her leaving home.
:(

I hate this part, too. This guy is selfish. Submission to God blah blah blah. He wanted her as a wife, so he could have someone to take care of him while he went on his mission serving for God. :roll:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:27 pm

I don't remember about the symbolism in the novel, but I do remember about the dichotomies the professor pointed out:

1) Jane / Rochester's wife. Jane was portrayed like an angel, or what was known as "an angel in the house". Mr. Rochester's wife (I forgot her name) is known as Jane's opposite. There's a book about this character called The Madwoman in the Attic (can't remember its author).

2) Jane's name: Eyre. It is pronounced like "air", "heir"... According to my professor, it can have different meanings. I think Jane is the heiress of something in the end, right? I really should read it again...

I don't remember any more dichotomies right now but I promise I will re-read the book and even look for my notes, that's an interesting novel to analyze.
Dixie

Postby illusion » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:44 pm

You know what? It reminds me of this Friends episode when Pheobe and Rachel signed up for literature classes and Rachel didn't read Jane Eyre and she had to tell the story in front the whole group and she said that Jane Eyre was a cyborg and she lived in a robot world? HA HA HA HA LOL how funny is that? :)
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

hi:)

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:48 pm

I hate this part, too. This guy is selfish. Submission to God blah blah blah. He wanted her as a wife, so he could have someone to take care of him while he went on his mission serving for God

No. He didn't want her as his wife. At least it isn't anything about it. But I have read only a simplified version.
But besides I don't think a bad marriage can be better than no marraige at all. I think some people simply prefer doing different things than running from one court into another and fight for money, kids etc. It makes our life more stressful and we can finish it faster because of such a mess:(

I don't remember any more dichotomies right now but I promise I will re-read the book and even look for my notes, that's an interesting novel to analyze.

Wow - this professor of your had really a great imagination. But apart from that... what I like in this reader level 2 is that CDs are included into it and you can improve your pronunciation by intensive reading. Besides there are some nice exercises to each chapter. Really good things.
Only I cannot understand why 2 CDs are included into such a short book. Wouldn't be able to put all stuff into one CD? Just another stupid question of mine :wink:

Read you soon:)
LM
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Next

Return to Books & Authors