EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

"Jane Eyre"

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Re: hello:)

Postby MissLT » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:33 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:Hi,

Why did you get banned?

Sometimes I am unable to open this wonderful forum:(.
And I think it is a result of banning me again:(
I have rather pessimistic vision of life - why shouldn't I be damn right again?:(
Any particular reasons?

Why don't you ask him? :?

LadyMacbeth wrote:Did she try to come back to clergyman?
Really? When?
Well.. I think I will have to read full version of this book one day.

regards:)

LM

Sorry, wrong person. I thought you were talking about Rochester. I read it too fast. :oops:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

PS.correction of some language errors

Postby LadyMacbeth » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:37 pm

.....(...)and he didn't tell it to the woman whom he loved and tried to marry that he had been married and had a baby? (...).....
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:59 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:Well Lennye in my opinion he was a common womanizer.
I don't try to justify him at all. Neither justify nor try to understand cause for me it is immpossible. He married his wife because of money (the most important factor) , then she became ill and he didn't tell to the woman who he loved and tried to marry that he was married and had a baby?
Oh Lennye - you demand from me too much in this place. I would spit at him. That's all:(
If he had any honour he wouldn't have married Jane at all. Neither he tried to promise her stars when in fact his life was one, big rubbish heap.:(

regards:)
LM

You could say it's impossible trying to figure out his personality since it's a novel. On the other hand, it's the beauty of it: you can get your imagination goes wild. You could use the words that describe him to back him up or go against him.

As for my case, I'd like to do the pro and not con part. I'd like to believe he was a victim of his time. He was a victim of his society, which expected people of the same class wedded to each other. Hence, Bearth and Ingram were the ones for him. However, he went against the traditions to be able to marry to the love of his life, Jane Eyre.

I'd like to believe his love for Jane was real. I find it wrong that he lied to her about his marriage status, which he believed he was lied to. The appropriate suggestion is he should have told her, but in his eyes Jane was pure like a first snowflake of the winter. He was afraid of the fact he would have lost her forever if he told her. It's indeed irrational and inexcuable, yet it's how strong his love was for her-- the fear of losing someone you love so much and the insecurity of not being good enough to keep them. Would you criticize someone with this love?

Why did you think he couldn't marry her? He'd made her felt what was love. He'd made her felt how to miss a person she loved most. A person who is going through life without experience what love is about would have all his/her wasted. Because of Rochester Jane's life wasn't wasted; therefore, he was her soul mate.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

dear Lennye,

Postby LadyMacbeth » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:12 am

Because of Rochester Jane's life wasn't wasted; therefore, he was her soul mate.

Let me to sum up your long letter. In my opinion Rochster loved money more than anything/anyone else. Doth he could earlier say "NO" to his father's ideas and avoid many troubles. I don't know.
For me at the end of the book Jane was simply rich enough to look for Rochester. She was young, full of snowflake-like ideas and... richer than at the beginning of the book! Rochester was blind.
Did he see any mother-instincts at her? I would rather say he needed a woman, the kid has been delivered.
The end of the story.
He didn't love his first wife. Love is stronger than illness. You also don't know what your future can be.
I know some stunning stories when husbands were betraying their wives all time round but when they fell ill they changed into their saint nurses.
How this can be explained? By pricks of conscience?
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Read you soon:)
LM
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

ps.

Postby LadyMacbeth » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:19 am

I would say - Rochester took the opportunity. Jane Eyre by herself found him. He didn't have to look for her even. And watch - he was already blind:(.

Well... this is how simple some big, romantic love stories can end up.

PS. Jane should have been rather a nurse - then she could help to the more amount of people in need.
A kid- she could have one without Rochester too (my opinion). Only then she didn't have such a wonderful house (as I remember). And she wouldn't have been someone like... lady Jane Rochester:)

hahaha:(
LM
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:22 am

Seeeee, this is where I think you have different view about his love for Jane. He proposed to her when she was poor and was his daughter's governess. She didn't know about the money she was inherited until she ran away from him, right? :?

Technically, he didn't wanna marry her for her money; he wanted to marry her for who she was. He'd made a mistake with Bertha and would be with Ingram if he married her. He'd realized his problem and fixed it before it was too late.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: dear Lennye,

Postby MissLT » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:27 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
He didn't love his first wife. Love is stronger than illness. You also don't know what your future can be.

Read you soon:)
LM

This, I agree with you. That's why I believe he didn't feel guilty locking her up. He didn't have any love for her to feel he should have fulfilled his job as her husband. He'd broken his marriage vows; however, those vows weren't made by love, were they?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

oki Lennye,

Postby LadyMacbeth » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:29 am

you are mostly right - but this question - what was love for Jane? She had a job thanks to Rochester. She was happy in his house. Mind her life before finding job at Rochester - she didn't take any care from anyone. She learnt to be independent and earn money for living. Rochester seemed to be an angel for her (if she is regarded to be another angel).
But I wouldn't compare her to any angel. This is again a difference of thinking. Angels are ghosts. Angels don't suffer. People live and suffer. She could be found as a saint person but she wasn't any saint person cause she didn't want to live for God and marry a poor clergyman. She preffered living in luxuries.
Saint people choose poverty cause than richness cause then they concentrate much more on spiritual aspect of life. Jane cared about other things more and she was a human being so how could she be an angel?
AMEN:)
LM
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

ps. petty correction:)

Postby LadyMacbeth » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:32 am

Saint people rather choose poverty than richness cause then they can concentrate much more on spiritual aspect of life.

:) :) :)
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:37 am

I wouldn't call her as an angel. I would say pure, though. But I guess people can exaggerate their feelings to talk about someone they love, right?

If you read the part about her conversation with St. John and the reason she'd refused to join him to a trip to India so many times because she was in love with Rochester. She'd experienced love; therefore, she could tell the marriage she would have with John would be loveless, and it could make her dying slowly inside.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors