Recommendation

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

thienthan20

think about short story

Post by thienthan20 »

Hi every body!
What do u think about short story in English. I think it can improve your English.
I'm from viet nam. I like learning E so much.
I want to find some website where I can read shrot story
If u know , please tell me.
Thank very much
mariposa

Post by mariposa »

Hi

I like reading stories and it is really helped me to improve my English.
http://www.fukkad.com/story/oneday.shtml here you can read some interesting stories which I really liked them also some of them make you think after reading it. I hope it will help you and you will like it.

see you
MARIPOSA
thienthan20

Hi MARIPOSA!

Post by thienthan20 »

Dear MARIPOSA
First I want to thanks for sending me a very interesting address.
Do u like to read funny story? I know some site : jokes.com
netfunny.com....
Gook luck and bye.
leen@rasel
Rising Star
Rising Star

please guide me

Post by leen@rasel »

i want a good book ,i prefer a story ,to read in the summer vacation ......do you know one?? 8)
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: please guid me

Post by Arale »

leen@rasel wrote:i want a good book ,i prefer a story ,to read in the summer vacation ......do you know one?? 8)
Stories? OK. But what kinds of stories are you fond of? adventurous? detective? romantic? or horror?
Really I haven't been updated about some recent stories. I only know stories which were written long ago. Ah, why don't you try Dracula by Bram Stocker? I love it. It may give you some interesting time at summer nights. :mrgreen:

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

or you can try"Frankenstein " by Mary Shelley..... It's a very interesting story but it's very short......
leen@rasel
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by leen@rasel »

thanks alot friends but i have to tell you that i am not interested in horror stories i prefer romance or adventures...but thank you any way :o
martazzz

Post by martazzz »

If you prefer adventures you can read summerland of Michael Chabon! It's very interesting and I play softball so for me al lot! :D Pleas try to read it...and let me know if it'll like ya! :lol:
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

I'm afraid summer has already gone, but you could try to read "Tess" one day... it's quite nice, and it's neither difficult nor easy to read, so it's just perfect to be read.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

pob wrote:I'm afraid summer has already gone, but you could try to read "Tess" one day... it's quite nice, and it's neither difficult nor easy to read, so it's just perfect to be read.
Who's the author?
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

Tess of the d'Urbervilles, by Thomas Hardy.

He, he, he... I've just found in google someone who says that is the worst book he/she has ever read... :?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

pob wrote:Tess of the d'Urbervilles, by Thomas Hardy.

He, he, he... I've just found in google someone who says that is the worst book he/she has ever read... :?
:D Well that's just an opinion, maybe someone else finds it worth reading ;)
hph247

Post by hph247 »

I suggest you to read THE ALCHEMIST --- It's a simple story ; yet you'll enjoy and learn cool stuffs about life ! give it a try ! ;)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

hph247 wrote:I suggest you to read THE ALCHEMIST --- It's a simple story ; yet you'll enjoy and learn cool stuffs about life ! give it a try ! ;)
I've been wanting to read that book for a long time now - don't know what I am waiting for. Been told it's a really good book.
CityYoung
Rising Star
Rising Star

What are easy books ?

Post by CityYoung »

I want to buy some book to read but English Language is not my first language so I want easy books to understand .I don't know which books can i buy . can you give my names of easy books ??? :cry:
CityYoung
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by CityYoung »

Where are people who read alot of books ? Where are readers books ? Where is who wants to give advice to people ? no one give me advice. why? what ashame ! :!: no body wants to help me :cry: :cry:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Please be patient, I am sure not everyone has seen your topic.
Triumph
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Triumph »

Actually, I can't tell you exactly which books are easy to read. For the same story, there may be different version. You may go to the library or book shops to look for books that suit your needs. Hope you can find what you need soon. :lol: :lol:
CityYoung
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by CityYoung »

OK Dixie :wink:
kamiya

Post by kamiya »

if u need an easy english book, u can read folktales or funny stories. they r not so long, they dont have many new words,
ayimak
CityYoung
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by CityYoung »

Thanks kamiya I'll get :wink:
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

City Young...i am happy to help if I can!

Post by tikay »

Hey!
I think there are so many good easy books to look at when you are learning English. I would like to know more of what you read first in your natural language...which is?
I am reading a few good books that are fairly simple right now...should I send you one that I am finished with? We could start an exchange your used books club in here... :wink:
I think if we just charged the cost to ship... a shipping price and sent our books to one another when we are done we could change the world :P PEACE & Happy New Year!
(oh I am reading Girl with a Pearl Earring, about Vermeer... and Huna, about Hawaiian healing techniques, and A million Little Pieces... about addiction, right now)
since I am a female you will probably get better answers for you from guys...if they will answer you! :roll: :P
Peace ...tracey
yana

Help me pick a book...

Post by yana »

Can you all recommend me a book that worth time and money to invested in?? I want to buy a book but have no idea what book should I pick...
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Depends on your taste :D What genre do you prefer? What type of fiction (if you like fiction) is your favorite?
yana

Post by yana »

I like to read all kind of genre....as long as it is interesting to read
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Well, I can only recommend fiction since that's what I like :D

I loved all Dan Brown's novels except for Deception Point. The ones I liked were The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress.

If you like the classics, you could try Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, or my all-time favorite novel, Alcott's Little Women :D

I also loved a novel called The Lake of Dead Languages, by Carol Goodman. I came accross that novel one day in a store and I thought it must be interesting, I bought and well, I just loved it. If you like mystery, I recommend that one.

I've got plenty of books in English, just let me know your likes and dislikes so I can recommend more :D
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

Dixie wrote:Well, I can only recommend fiction since that's what I like :D

I loved all Dan Brown's novels except for Deception Point. The ones I liked were The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress.
yep.. i personally think that these novels are great too.. i can attest to that..... :D you'll enjoy it yana.. :wink:
When all else fails..don't stop.
Anahita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Anahita »

jeki wrote:Hello, everybody
I'm new here, and I don't speak English very well. But I want to increase my knowledge. I would like to read books in English. Would you recommend me not very difficult books?
My favourite topics are animals and running. Thank you very much.

well .. i suggest you take a look at this book MY FAMILY AND OTHER ANIMALS ..man , its hilarious and reading it was so much fun :lol: .. i still remember the first time i read it i fell in love with the beauty of descriptions about this boy's adventures in this lovely island in the heart of the magical nature and all those dreamy hours along the sea shores and swimming beneath the silver moon .. * sighs happily * .. this book gave the best hours to me and took me to an unforgettable land which i hadnt seen before .. however I better stop talking why don’t you take a look at it yourself ? :D

http://www.shoarns.com/MyFamilyandOtherAnimals.htm
Linpiber

In my opinion...

Post by Linpiber »

I recommend 1984 by George Orwell. I read it last year and I think in this book so far. It was the most depressing book that I've read. Another one is the Classical Dracula by Bram Stocker. This book is almost perfect! When Dracula was publicated for the 1st time it caused such calmour that people thought the story was really true.

More information write to me!

http://www.sparknotes.com
Books and much more
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

I finally got a copy of FIVE GREAT DIALOGUES and began to read Republic by Plato...wow I am so happy that I found it in a used bookstore it has these five books in one Apology Crito Phaedo Symposium Republic.f I picked it up for five dollars....practically nothing, I wish someone had told me to read Plato when I was younger! It is a really great book, with some really big ideas.
I personally love philosophy....Plato was a great! And followed by so many, with his insightful thinking.

For more easy reading....I suggest books meant for teens, at least when you are (at first) learning. They keep wording sort of simple and the stories are fun to read. For instance the The Narnia Cronicles by C.S. Lewis ...because the English is easier to get if you start with these. Also books by Madeline L'Engle like A Wrinkle in Time. I used to read Nancy Drew Mysteries when I was a child. These are fun too.

If those are too childish for your tastes try books about movies you have seen because that will help you get through them, like Girl With a Pearl Earring (very good book) or watch the movie (if there is one ) when you get a book...because knowing about the movie will help with reading the book.
As for my current reading list:
Yesterday I almost bought Pride and Predjudice but some other books won out...The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, by Dai Sijie....Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalian and Wild Animus by Rich Shapiro...
I do book reviews in amazon.com...put this in their search box,
in amazon to have a look at my reviews and guides oh the wishlists are just guides...so please do not send me books LOL!... (I have a whole bunch of them, already, waiting to be read)T.K. Faleofa in the search engine box....for results.
Happy Hunting...and Reading! (hope this helps) :)
I love to read! -Tikay
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Five books you would recommend

Post by Cypress »

Hi everyone!
I’m trying to make a list of books I must read. Could you help me? I would appreciate it if you could give me a list of five books that you enjoyed the most. Just a list of five your favorite books. That’s it :D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

1.- The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown

2.- Angels and Demons, Dan Brown

3.- Digital Fortress, Dan Brown

4.- The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafón

5.- The Lake of Dead Languages, Carol Goodman

:arrow: I'm not a Dan Brown fan, it's just that his novels were the first ones that came to my mind, especially #1, which I have read twice. By the way, there's one missing (he's got 4), Deception Point, but I didn't like that one.

Of course this list can be expanded, these are not my all-time favorite books... Many of them are from Catalan writers and I am sure you couldn't possibly find them even though some of them have been translated into many languages.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

All Harry Potter books. I've read them three times, and I've starting the fourth time; I'm on book five right now.

Edit:
1. All Harry Potter books.
2. Most Sidney Sheldon's books: master of the game, the other side of midnight, tell me your dreams, if tomorrow comes, the bloodline, a stranger in the mirror, the naked face.
3. Most Stephen King's books: cujo, the dark tower, it, on writing: a memoir of the craft, etc.
4. Most Nora Roberts' books.
5. Most Tim O'brien's books or Maya Angelou's.
Last edited by MissLT on Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

Shame on me because I haven’t read any book by Dan Brown :oops: . Shame on me again ‘cause I haven’t read any Harry Potter book :oops: . I definitely should read them.

LennyeTran, have you read the Lord of the Rings? Is it similar to Harry Potter books? Did you like it?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I did read it. It was soooo long... :lol:
Ksju

Post by Ksju »

Just at the moment these books come into my head: :?
- M. Bulgakov Master and Margarite. One of the best (disputable) books not only in Russian literature but world’s legacy. And just one of my favourite books. Quite entertainment.
- Fowels Collector. Great book. Really maybe the best Fowels’ work. But too awful at the same time.
- G. Orwell Animal Farm. Interesting reading. And not so doom and gloom as all antiutopia.
- GB Show The Heartbreak House. Just my favourite play by Show!
- T. Capote Breakfast at Tiffany’s. …Just read it. I don’t know what to say about the book, don’t know WHAT I should put into words and WHAT words… :) Just nice book with good, pleasant aura. :idea:
JainaSolo

Post by JainaSolo »

I like so many books that mine would be a neverending list! 8) But I agree with LennyeTran, you should read the Harry Potter books, they're wonderful! :D I think I've read them 4 or 5 times, and everytime I enjoy them like I have never read them before!Maybe you can also try Lord Of The Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia by Lewis (who was one of Tolkien's friends), and of course some of Dan Brown's books, especially The Da Vinci Code and Angels and demons. :wink:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

1. Hamlet, the prince of Denmark- Shakespeare

2. Harry Potter (all the books)-J.K Rowling

3. Da Vinci Code- Dan Brown

4. Zahir-Paulo Coehlo

5. The master and Margarita- Mikail Bulgakov
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Cypress wrote: LennyeTran, have you read the Lord of the Rings? Is it similar to Harry Potter books? Did you like it?
You know, I find his writing is too dry for me. Or maybe the movies, I think, are better than the books.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

LennyeTran wrote:All Harry Potter books. I've read them three times, and I've starting the fourth time; I'm on book five right now.

Edit:
1. All Harry Potter books.
2. Most Sidney Sheldon's books: master of the game, the other side of midnight, tell me your dreams, if tomorrow comes, the bloodline, a stranger in the mirror, the naked face.
3. Most Stephen King's books: cujo, the dark tower, it, on writing: a memoir of the craft, etc.
4. Most Nora Roberts' books.
5. Most Tim O'brien's books or Maya Angelou's.
Actually, change Nora Roberts to Amy Tan. I like Amy's books better.
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

illusion wrote:

5. The master and Margarita- Mikail Bulgakov
It's nice to know that people from other countries are familiar with Russian literature :wink:
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

LennyeTran wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
Actually, change Nora Roberts to Amy Tan. I like Amy's books better.
Amy Tan, isn’t she an Asian woman who lives in San Francisco? I remember reading a few of her essays in my English class a couple years ago. I don’t remember the titles, but the essays were about immigrant experiences in America. I found them very interesting because I could make a comparison to my own life and my own experiences as an immigrant.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Cypress wrote: Amy Tan, isn’t she an Asian woman who lives in San Francisco? I remember reading a few of her essays in my English class a couple years ago. I don’t remember the titles, but the essays were about immigrant experiences in America. I found them very interesting because I could make a comparison to my own life and my own experiences as an immigrant.
Yeah, her stories are used to represent Asian-Americans in English classes in the States. She writes about how different it is to be raised in two cultures: Asian and American, how hard it is to identify as which one, etc. One of her famous stories is The Joy Luck Club. I think you've heard of it, right?
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

LennyeTran wrote: Yeah, her stories are used to represent Asian-Americans in English classes in the States. She writes about how different it is to be raised in two cultures: Asian and American, how hard it is to identify as which one, etc. One of her famous stories is The Joy Luck Club. I think you've heard of it, right?
I think they mentioned this story in her biography in my textbook. But I haven't read it :oops: Well, I added it to my "must be read" list :D Thank you

I got quite a few books on my list. Thank you guys for your replies. And I'm still waiting for more
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

life oh life...

Post by hereiam »

you are talking about your favourite books while in the meantime...Mr Collins proposed to Elisabeth and wasn't specially discouraged with her decline. On the contrary he found it her momentary lack of reason. What a story! She refused and her mother wanted to throw her out of house cause she didn't want to pay for her any longer! Well... what an affair! Imagine what talks were being done in local... shrubberies. Elisabeth Bennet refused to Collins and Mr Bingley left for London - for 6 months probably! Only God knows what can happen in the meantime. Sisters didn't tell their mother about whole letter Jane had received. Wise sisters or not? Who can know it.
Read "Pride and Prejudice" - a fact literature:)
Ksju

Post by Ksju »

Cypress wrote:Shame on me because I haven’t read any book by Dan Brown :oops:
Absolutely NOT!!! :shock:
There’s nothing special! Just usual boulevard novels. :roll:
It’s not great literature of great authors.

In most cases you’d better to spend you valuable time on books with little more thinking opportunities and life problems…
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

Ksju wrote:

In most cases you’d better to spend you valuable time on books with little more thinking opportunities and life problems…
So far, all the people I talked to about Dan Brown’s books either liked them a lot or strongly disliked them. I think it might be a good idea to read at least one of them, so I can actually have my own opinion.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Cypress wrote:
I think they mentioned this story in her biography in my textbook. But I haven't read it :oops: Well, I added it to my "must be read" list :D Thank you

I got quite a few books on my list. Thank you guys for your replies. And I'm still waiting for more
Textbook? What book is that? I'm curious.
Ksju

Post by Ksju »

Cypress wrote:
Ksju wrote:

So far, all the people I talked to about Dan Brown’s books either liked them a lot or strongly disliked them. I think it might be a good idea to read at least one of them, so I can actually have my own opinion.

:)
Liked them a lot or strongly disliked… Hmmm… (Maybe people who is not so exacting to literature – like it, those who prefer good, real literature dislike it…) :lol:
For me indeed it’s not so interesting to discuss it. Just to make clear myself…
I’m not really against this book! Of course you may read it of you have a free evening. I spent one – and not so bad…
I’m just talking that we should clearly understand what kind of literature it is. And if there wouldn’t spend so big money on promotion of the book and you wouldn’t see it on every corner I just simple forget about the book on the next day! Like every other book of the kind, any other street detective…
(By the way I must confess I received a little pleasure reading the book - if we still consider it as literature – there’re no characters, no normal idea, and language is very poor. From this point of view it’s really uninteresting.)
Resemble average middling Hollywood action, just running, firing and explosions and nothing more. But it’s better to watch smth like this than read I think.

Just only hope the movie will be a little bit better. (anyway as there will be Jan Reno)
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Ksju wrote:
Cypress wrote:
Ksju wrote: Absolutely NOT!!! :shock:

:)
Liked them a lot or strongly disliked… Hmmm… (Maybe people who is not so exacting to literature – like it, those who prefer good, real literature dislike it…) :lol:
For me indeed it’s not so interesting to discuss it. Just to make clear myself…
I’m not really against this book! Of course you may read it of you have a free evening. I spent one – and not so bad…
I’m just talking that we should clearly understand what kind of literature it is. And if there wouldn’t spend so big money on promotion of the book and you wouldn’t see it on every corner I just simple forget about the book on the next day! Like every other book of the kind, any other street detective…
(By the way I must confess I received a little pleasure reading the book - if we still consider it as literature – there’re no characters, no normal idea, and language is very poor. From this point of view it’s really uninteresting.)
Resemble average middling Hollywood action, just running, firing and explosions and nothing more. But it’s better to watch smth like this than read I think.

Just only hope the movie will be a little bit better. (anyway as there will be Jan Reno)
Well. Miss Prosecutor! :wink: The language is not so poor as you want it to be, english version is just amazing, i must say russian translation is poor! that's a big difference!

And about good-bad litarature... every one considers it from his own point of view... Sure there is no need to talk about Dostoevski, wether he is talented or not... it goes without saying!
talking about modern literature (excluding beloved russian detectives of course...) not every new releasing books is worth paying attention on it, but Dan Brown is among those writers that i would like to read (if i have a spare evening :wink: ). I don't care if he has stolen the plot! the book i read by him i liked... and nothing more...

by the way... here is another one crazy-on-Jan-Reno... :!: :roll: :wink: