EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Recommendation

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby CityYoung » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:44 am

Thanks kamiya I'll get :wink:
CityYoung
Platinum Member

City Young...i am happy to help if I can!

Postby tikay » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:53 pm

Hey!
I think there are so many good easy books to look at when you are learning English. I would like to know more of what you read first in your natural language...which is?
I am reading a few good books that are fairly simple right now...should I send you one that I am finished with? We could start an exchange your used books club in here... :wink:
I think if we just charged the cost to ship... a shipping price and sent our books to one another when we are done we could change the world :P PEACE & Happy New Year!
(oh I am reading Girl with a Pearl Earring, about Vermeer... and Huna, about Hawaiian healing techniques, and A million Little Pieces... about addiction, right now)
since I am a female you will probably get better answers for you from guys...if they will answer you! :roll: :P
Peace ...tracey
tikay
Platinum Member

Help me pick a book...

Postby yana » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:44 am

Can you all recommend me a book that worth time and money to invested in?? I want to buy a book but have no idea what book should I pick...
yana

Postby Dixie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:36 am

Depends on your taste :D What genre do you prefer? What type of fiction (if you like fiction) is your favorite?
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby yana » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:10 am

I like to read all kind of genre....as long as it is interesting to read
yana

Postby Dixie » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:28 am

Well, I can only recommend fiction since that's what I like :D

I loved all Dan Brown's novels except for Deception Point. The ones I liked were The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress.

If you like the classics, you could try Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, or my all-time favorite novel, Alcott's Little Women :D

I also loved a novel called The Lake of Dead Languages, by Carol Goodman. I came accross that novel one day in a store and I thought it must be interesting, I bought and well, I just loved it. If you like mystery, I recommend that one.

I've got plenty of books in English, just let me know your likes and dislikes so I can recommend more :D
Dixie

Postby TearHere » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:31 am

Dixie wrote:Well, I can only recommend fiction since that's what I like :D

I loved all Dan Brown's novels except for Deception Point. The ones I liked were The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress.

yep.. i personally think that these novels are great too.. i can attest to that..... :D you'll enjoy it yana.. :wink:
When all else fails..don't stop.
TearHere
Gold Member

Postby Anahita » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:45 am

jeki wrote:Hello, everybody
I'm new here, and I don't speak English very well. But I want to increase my knowledge. I would like to read books in English. Would you recommend me not very difficult books?
My favourite topics are animals and running. Thank you very much.

well .. i suggest you take a look at this book MY FAMILY AND OTHER ANIMALS ..man , its hilarious and reading it was so much fun :lol: .. i still remember the first time i read it i fell in love with the beauty of descriptions about this boy's adventures in this lovely island in the heart of the magical nature and all those dreamy hours along the sea shores and swimming beneath the silver moon .. * sighs happily * .. this book gave the best hours to me and took me to an unforgettable land which i hadnt seen before .. however I better stop talking why don’t you take a look at it yourself ? :D

http://www.shoarns.com/MyFamilyandOtherAnimals.htm
Anahita
Platinum Member

In my opinion...

Postby Linpiber » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:26 pm

I recommend 1984 by George Orwell. I read it last year and I think in this book so far. It was the most depressing book that I've read. Another one is the Classical Dracula by Bram Stocker. This book is almost perfect! When Dracula was publicated for the 1st time it caused such calmour that people thought the story was really true.

More information write to me!

http://www.sparknotes.com
Books and much more
Linpiber

Postby tikay » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:04 pm

I finally got a copy of FIVE GREAT DIALOGUES and began to read Republic by Plato...wow I am so happy that I found it in a used bookstore it has these five books in one Apology Crito Phaedo Symposium Republic.f I picked it up for five dollars....practically nothing, I wish someone had told me to read Plato when I was younger! It is a really great book, with some really big ideas.
I personally love philosophy....Plato was a great! And followed by so many, with his insightful thinking.

For more easy reading....I suggest books meant for teens, at least when you are (at first) learning. They keep wording sort of simple and the stories are fun to read. For instance the The Narnia Cronicles by C.S. Lewis ...because the English is easier to get if you start with these. Also books by Madeline L'Engle like A Wrinkle in Time. I used to read Nancy Drew Mysteries when I was a child. These are fun too.

If those are too childish for your tastes try books about movies you have seen because that will help you get through them, like Girl With a Pearl Earring (very good book) or watch the movie (if there is one ) when you get a book...because knowing about the movie will help with reading the book.
As for my current reading list:
Yesterday I almost bought Pride and Predjudice but some other books won out...The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, by Dai Sijie....Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalian and Wild Animus by Rich Shapiro...
I do book reviews in amazon.com...put this in their search box,
in amazon to have a look at my reviews and guides oh the wishlists are just guides...so please do not send me books LOL!... (I have a whole bunch of them, already, waiting to be read)T.K. Faleofa in the search engine box....for results.
Happy Hunting...and Reading! (hope this helps) :)
I love to read! -Tikay
tikay
Platinum Member

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors