EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Recommendation

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Five books you would recommend

Postby Cypress » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:57 am

Hi everyone!
I’m trying to make a list of books I must read. Could you help me? I would appreciate it if you could give me a list of five books that you enjoyed the most. Just a list of five your favorite books. That’s it :D
Cypress
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:27 am

1.- The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown

2.- Angels and Demons, Dan Brown

3.- Digital Fortress, Dan Brown

4.- The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafón

5.- The Lake of Dead Languages, Carol Goodman

:arrow: I'm not a Dan Brown fan, it's just that his novels were the first ones that came to my mind, especially #1, which I have read twice. By the way, there's one missing (he's got 4), Deception Point, but I didn't like that one.

Of course this list can be expanded, these are not my all-time favorite books... Many of them are from Catalan writers and I am sure you couldn't possibly find them even though some of them have been translated into many languages.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby MissLT » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:59 am

All Harry Potter books. I've read them three times, and I've starting the fourth time; I'm on book five right now.

Edit:
1. All Harry Potter books.
2. Most Sidney Sheldon's books: master of the game, the other side of midnight, tell me your dreams, if tomorrow comes, the bloodline, a stranger in the mirror, the naked face.
3. Most Stephen King's books: cujo, the dark tower, it, on writing: a memoir of the craft, etc.
4. Most Nora Roberts' books.
5. Most Tim O'brien's books or Maya Angelou's.
Last edited by MissLT on Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Cypress » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:26 am

Shame on me because I haven’t read any book by Dan Brown :oops: . Shame on me again ‘cause I haven’t read any Harry Potter book :oops: . I definitely should read them.

LennyeTran, have you read the Lord of the Rings? Is it similar to Harry Potter books? Did you like it?
Cypress
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:43 am

I did read it. It was soooo long... :lol:
Dixie

Postby Ksju » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:33 am

Just at the moment these books come into my head: :?
- M. Bulgakov Master and Margarite. One of the best (disputable) books not only in Russian literature but world’s legacy. And just one of my favourite books. Quite entertainment.
- Fowels Collector. Great book. Really maybe the best Fowels’ work. But too awful at the same time.
- G. Orwell Animal Farm. Interesting reading. And not so doom and gloom as all antiutopia.
- GB Show The Heartbreak House. Just my favourite play by Show!
- T. Capote Breakfast at Tiffany’s. …Just read it. I don’t know what to say about the book, don’t know WHAT I should put into words and WHAT words… :) Just nice book with good, pleasant aura. :idea:
Ksju
Silver Member

Postby JainaSolo » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:45 pm

I like so many books that mine would be a neverending list! 8) But I agree with LennyeTran, you should read the Harry Potter books, they're wonderful! :D I think I've read them 4 or 5 times, and everytime I enjoy them like I have never read them before!Maybe you can also try Lord Of The Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia by Lewis (who was one of Tolkien's friends), and of course some of Dan Brown's books, especially The Da Vinci Code and Angels and demons. :wink:
JainaSolo
Silver Member

Postby illusion » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:40 am

1. Hamlet, the prince of Denmark- Shakespeare

2. Harry Potter (all the books)-J.K Rowling

3. Da Vinci Code- Dan Brown

4. Zahir-Paulo Coehlo

5. The master and Margarita- Mikail Bulgakov
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:10 am

Cypress wrote:LennyeTran, have you read the Lord of the Rings? Is it similar to Harry Potter books? Did you like it?

You know, I find his writing is too dry for me. Or maybe the movies, I think, are better than the books.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:32 am

LennyeTran wrote:All Harry Potter books. I've read them three times, and I've starting the fourth time; I'm on book five right now.

Edit:
1. All Harry Potter books.
2. Most Sidney Sheldon's books: master of the game, the other side of midnight, tell me your dreams, if tomorrow comes, the bloodline, a stranger in the mirror, the naked face.
3. Most Stephen King's books: cujo, the dark tower, it, on writing: a memoir of the craft, etc.
4. Most Nora Roberts' books.
5. Most Tim O'brien's books or Maya Angelou's.

Actually, change Nora Roberts to Amy Tan. I like Amy's books better.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors